1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your favorite unsolved mystery

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The family and I watch as how each week on the Travel Channel called "Expedition Unknown." The host, a real charismatic guy named Josh Gates, explores some unsolved mystery in history each week, filming on location. He's searched for the Arc of the Covenant, Blackbeard's treasure, Robinhood's grave, Lasseter's gold, the Lost Colony of Roanoke, and so on and so forth. It's a really fun show, and the kids love it, too.

This is a lead-up to the fact that last night we watched an episode in January on the D.B. Cooper skyjacking. The case has always fascinated me, ever since singer-songwriter Todd Snider wrote a song about the case nearly two decades ago. I've spent many a night going down the D.B. Cooper rabbit hole. And even if you don't think he survived the jump, we still don't know who he was. (In January, with the show's help, some amateur sleuths were able to analyze the clip-on tie that Cooper left behind. People now theorize that he worked in an industry that worked with the manufacture of cathode tubes, perhaps as a manager, because a line worker would have taken off his tie before heading to line each shift.)

D. B. Cooper - Wikipedia

What's your favorite?

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

My favorite unsolved mystery: Why can't writers and editors proofread stuff being printing?
    You favorite unsolved mystery

Second-favorite unsolved mystery: UFOs.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Jimmy Hoffa
    Jon Benet
    Where the fuck my other sock went

Spartan Squad and Vombatus like this.
  4. Dick Whitman

Are most people about 99 percent sure the parents did it?

Seems nearly O.J.-ish to me.

5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Any narrated by Robert Stack and introduced by that creepy-ass music.

The one I'd most like to know the entire truth about is probably the JFK assassination. I'm open to a lone gunman, inside job, Soviets, the mob, all of it. I don't care what actually happened. I'd just like to know.

KYSportsWriter likes this.
  6. swingline

That was used to set up the unsuccessful joke. I don't give a shit about any of those "mysteries." Therein lies conspiracy theories and before you know it you're a 9/11 truther and looking askance at the Sandy Hook victims.

7. Dick Whitman

I reject the premise that being fascinated by D.B. Cooper or JonBenet leads to Infowars-ism.

That said, that's what the movie "Zodiac" was kind of about.

In my prior job, we've talked about it on here, I spent a year investigating some murders from the summer of 1993. It was the most fun I ever had at a job, going down that rabbit hole every day. It was a way better story than "Serial" or "Making a Murderer."

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Mysteries, from the "Where are they now?" department:

1) where's o_t and what's been going on with him since 8NOV?
    2) where's Vers,
    3) IJAG,
    4) Mizzou
    5) who here has double identities and how many of you got banned?

Donny in his element likes this.
  9. Dick Whitman

I think that there's a better than even chance that manky_jimmy is Boom.

10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

11. swingline

Damned if "Unsolved Mysteries" isn't on Lifetime right now. With Dennis Farina as the host. I'm pretty sure he's dead -- and they never even investigate that on the show! Suspicious ...

Draft saved Draft deleted