1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GianCarlo Stanton - Hall of Fame?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by manky_jimy, Aug 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. manky_jimy

manky_jimy Active Member

Is 27 years old and has 244 homers (almost halfway to 500 already).

Positives:
    *Signed thru 2027, would be first Hall of Famer to go in wearing a Marlins cap.
    *Debuted at age 20, so he has a head start at piling up the 'counting' stats
    *2016 Home Run Derby champion.

Negatives:
    *Only a .267 batting average, unlikely to improve much on this as he ages
    *Has had trouble staying healthy (only 1 season with 150+ games)

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

He's no Jetes!

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Giancarlo and Albert Pujols are virtual stat clones. I'd say both are on their way unless they get caught fucking a chicken.

Vombatus likes this.
  4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Huh?

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Early days, not present day obviously.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Through his age 27 season, Pujols had a .332 career batting average, 54.7 WAR and 167 OPS+.

Age 27 Stanton is at .267, 31.7 and 144.

Probably well in his way, though, if he can string together some healthy seasons and a couple home run titles.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

For his sake and the sake of baseball fans, let's hope he doesn't spend the next decade playing for that embarrassment of a franchise.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

At the same point in his career, people would have commissioned Albert Belle's HOF plaque and bust .

Eight years with Cleveland: 3,925 PAs, 242 HRs, 751 RBI, .295/.369/.564
    Stanton's first eight years: 3,889 PAs, 242 HRs, 619 RBI, .267/.359/.547

Stanton is a long, loooooooooong way from the HOF, both geographically and enshrinement-wise.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Depends on whether the chicken talks.

cjericho likes this.
  10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

1) Who cares about their RBIs?

2) I would think that Stanton's OPS+ is higher than Belle's. I've been surprised to see how low Belle's was, because of the era he played in.

EDIT: I was wrong. Belle's was 150 at the time. Stanton's is 144.

3) Re: Pujols: God it's going to suck 10 years from now when Mike Trout is batting .235 with 25 home runs.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

HOF voters care about their RBIs. It's definitely a consideration when people are comparing players. I know it's a function of opportunity and guys getting on base in front of you, but people still use it to compare.

The point is, Belle was a surefire HOFer when he was where Stanton is now. He'll never sniff it. I think he'd get in despite his injury-shortened career if he wasn't such an asshole. But things like RBI and how you treat the media are factors. Who knows how Stanton will turn out. To say, oh, if he just keeps doing what he's doing now for X more years ... of course. Same with Aaron Judge and Cody Bellinger. Stanton hasn't done enough yet to make the HOF. Yeah, hit 300 more homers and he's in. Good luck with that.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

How much are the HOF voters of, say, 2032, going to be in love with RBIs?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted