1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mercury News seeks digital sports fiends

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by BANG Sports, Jul 26, 2017.

1. BANG Sports

BANG Sports New Member

We're looking for talented additions to our sports team at the Mercury News and East Bay Times to help cover an impressive stable of Bay Area teams: Warriors, 49ers, Raiders, Giants, A's, Sharks, Earthquakes, Stanford/Cal. We're interested in the best available digitally minded columnists, beat reporters, GA reporters and aggregators. We're looking for video journalists, graphic designers, interactive experts, web producers, on-air talent and social media mavens. You name it, we're considering it as we bolster our digital operation. If you have special talents geared for the future of sports journalism, we want to hear from you. Hit us at sportsgigs@bayareanewsgroup.com

2. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

So they're hiring like eight people?

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

After losing two columnists to The Atlantic and a third to retirement, plenty of money in the budget!

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I think I'll look into this. I don't mind a little shaking now and then (just a little...) but the big question is cost of living and what these jobs would pay in relation.

5. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Eight? Probably two kids, and right out of college ... :)

steveu and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Just a heads up, the SoCal Digital First is offering buyouts.

7. Bob Smith

Bob Smith Member

Who is leaving in SoCal?

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

No word yet. Buyouts being offered. Hope enough take them to avoid layoffs.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Fiends? Sounds an awful lot like guys who run "casting calls" for "inexperienced actresses."

dixiehack and HanSenSE like this.
  10. LeesaJohnson

LeesaJohnson New Member

Great to know about the hiring and I will ask my friend to check this.

11. Tom Ato

Tom Ato Member

I guess (?) this is one of the hires from the fairly open-ended search for "talented additions" for The Mercury News/East Bay Times.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Part of the fallout from Kawakami, Thompson, Slater and Durkin joining The Athletic. That said, nice grab.

Draft saved Draft deleted