1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greg Bedard's Boston Sports Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wicked, Jul 19, 2017.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It launches Monday. He's following the lead of the Pittsburgh writer's site/app.

Boston Sports Journal | Coming Soon!

Difference between here and Pittsburgh is that the Boston area has a lot more outlets -- almost all offering free access. I do like his hiring of Sean McAdam, though I wonder where Bedard is getting the money from. He's hiring three or four writers and they'll be on staff and not stringers.

2. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Best of luck to Greg. He's still very well-regarded in my neck of the woods.

3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

These are some very talented, very well-respected guys doing the writing here, but I just don't know who is going to pay $5 a month (or whatever it is) for what sports fans can get elsewhere (although likely not as good) for free. It's a tough racket out there now, and I wish them the best of luck.

Johnny Dangerously likes this.
  4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

If you are a fan of intelligent sports writing I don't see 5 bucks stopping you. I hope there are enough fans willing to pay that it's successful.

5. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Really cool to see so many places like The Athletic and BSJ opening up boutique sports sites in different cities. This seems like the most sustainable business model in quite some time (because it actually makes a decent amount of sense).

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Someone brought up travel costs for The Athletic...I'm not sure how much travelling they do

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Someone on another thread said Bedard is putting his life savings into this (?). I think he's got a good shot with that market and the fact that those teams have national followings too. I wonder what percentage of DKPittsburghSports subscriptions come from far outside Pittsburgh.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's very hard to make the transition from worker to boss of a small business. I wish Greg well. Will I pay for this? I will to start, and then we'll see.

Johnny Dangerously likes this.
  9. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Yes, I think I reported that Chad Finn said that Bedard told him that.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Three thats in one sentence! How about THAT! :)

11. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Travel will only be required for features and big games. Otherwise, it doesn't make much sense to write from the road. One of the beauties of a site that isn't the outlet of record is it frees you up to write whatever you want.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Bedard says everyone is traveling.

Draft saved Draft deleted