1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Ruh-roh, Ritch RcConnell!

2. Twirling Time

The OG Limbaugh still probably pulls rank.

3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm guessing you're correct. How did I forget about him?

4. Deskgrunt50

Always felt the same way about Glenn Beck. It was all an act. An act that made him wildly rich. But Trump was even too much for Beck (or he's got all the money he wants).

Hannity apparently needs to be richer if he's sticking with looking like a fool.

5. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Hannity and Beck are annoying douches. I wouldn't choose to listen to either for any reason. Same way I would never willingly watch Colbert or Stewart.

6. Deskgrunt50

I would hope nobody is forcing you to watch anything you don't want to watch.

Hannity and Beck pass themselves off as news men presenting facts, or at least opinions supported by facts. Both are frauds.

Stewart and Colbert are comedians. Liberal comedians you clearly don't happen to find funny, but comedians.

Sort of a major difference. Obviously you know this, so I'm not sure what point you're making.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

You'd think she would just stop. But no

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Even if she never said a word about politics, Coulter is a natural lock for being the "Let me speak to your manager" woman on social media.

9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The distinction that exists between the two pairs isn't as great as you make it out to be. All of them are offering opinion based on others' reporting. However they present themselves doesn't change the fact that they are giving opinions and each side gravitates to the ones they like.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  10. Deskgrunt50

The lines have certainly been blurred. But overall, I just can't agree on this. Hannity and (to a lesser extent) Beck are NOT comedians. They are taken seriously by the audience.

Stewart and Colbert are, and always have been, comedians. There is an unfortunate situation that some viewers rely on them for their "news." That's sad. They're 90-plus percent liberal but they do take shots at both sides. Hannity has never spoken ill of a republican. No matter how idiotic he sounds. Stewart and Colbert will usually do the best joke, at anyone's expense.

There's a larger issue to be discussed that news has been forced to be entertainment for ratings and ad dollars. A kick-in-the-balls truth that isn't going to change. But that's a loooooong conversation.

I think a better comparison is Bill Maher. He uses the comedic shield, but he wants to be taken far more seriously on poltics. Other than the monologue and New Rules, his show is purely politics. He does get some points for inviting republicans on his show. And good on them for presenting their views in front of a liberal crowd that will disagree.

11. Twirling Time

Maher's major flaw is that once every two or three years he'll say something that's so jaw-droppingly stupid.

HanSenSE and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  12. Deskgrunt50

No doubt. He pushes limits. But damn he's said some stupid, offensive crap. And I'm not easily offended.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.