1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MTV News gets postmortem from The New Yorker

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CD Boogie, Jul 10, 2017.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

in hindsight, it seems obvious why this venture into longform journalism would fail, not least bc MTV has close relationships with so many artists and the writers were essentially defanged.

Tough to be Rolling Stone when babies like
    Chance the Rapper and Kings of Leon can get your stories pulled for writing things that are less than glowing.

Astonishing to me that Dan Fierman and the woman from Pitchfork would not have known about the landscape or could have predicted it.

MTV News and the Threats to Negative Criticism

Btw, the story by the Nation that is linked in this piece might have the longest editor's note I've ever seen, copping to many factorial and judgment errors. Still, that essay is a decently illuminating read, too.

Fierman doesn't come off too hot, but he also doesn't respond to any requests for comment, so that's the danger.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Music criticism is marshmallow soft. Has been for a long time.

3. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

A guy best known for a Kit Kat ad wields enough power to pull the strings at MTV? What a fucking joke.

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

What's the Nation link? I didn't see it.

5. CD Boogie

The Rebirth of MTV News

Sorry, it was actually linked in the Spin article that was linked in the New Yorker piece.

6. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

If you think that Chance is best known for a Kit Kat commercial, then this discussion ain't for you.

7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I'll decide what discussions are for me, sport.

PaperClip529 likes this.
  8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

He was featured in CNN's documentary series Chicagoland, which aired three years ago. He's only gotten bigger since.

9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I can't imagine a more depressing professional moment than finding out your writing's been axed by a band that non-ironically penned the lyric This sex is on fire.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

If you want good press, don't get so wasted that you pass out four songs into your set in Dallas, Caleb.

11. CD Boogie

I saw Kings of Leon last year at MSG and I was impressed. I feared they wouldn't sound as good live as they do on recording. Not the case. "Crawl," in particular, sounded awesome. And seeing a whole bunch of hot, sweaty women singing "Sex on Fire" does not suck.

12. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

MTV Mines the Past for Its Future: ‘Total Request Live’

Draft saved Draft deleted