1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Growth of the Dunking Community story

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help available' started by Cameron Fields, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Cameron Fields

Cameron Fields New Member

Hello, my name is Cameron Fields, and I'm a junior journalism major at Ohio University. I've been working on a story about the growth of the professional dunking community this summer, and I'm looking to submit it to a website for freelance work. The dunking community is one filled with growing names. Jordan Kilganon, the face of the community, has competed on TNT's "The Dunk King" with others in the community. I have completed a first draft, so I would be able to send that to anyone interested. If you're interested in the story, please email me at cgfwrites@gmail.com. Thanks!

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The name Dunkard or Dunker is derived from the Pennsylvania German word dunke, which comes from the German word tunken, meaning "to dunk" or "to dip". This emphasizes the method of baptism observed by all of the various branches of Schwarzenau Brethren — trine immersion.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Dunkel is a High German adjective meaning "dark," i.e. a Dunkelweizen = a dark wheat beer.

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Hey Cameron, good luck landing the piece. The biggest part of this job is being a good reporter and writer. It's also important to put yourself out there. That's not always easy, but we're all in sales in a way. So good on you for trying.

If someone offers you constructive criticism of your piece, make sure you listen. None of us is perfect at this job, and none of us can do it alone. Keep working to get better. The stories you're writing today should pale next to the stories you write next year.

But hopefully you've written something that someone publishes somewhere. Remember: If you get paid a single dollar, you can call yourself a professional writer for the rest of your life. Not many people can.

Cameron Fields and Dave Royse like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted