1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Introduction

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by maxrettig, May 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. maxrettig

maxrettig New Member

Hi SportsJournalists members,

I'm new to this group and wanted to introduce myself. I'm a very recent graduate of Columbia University with a degree in creative writing. I'm looking for job opportunities in sports writing and/or editing. I currently contribute articles for SportTechie, a website that covers technology and innovation within sports, and I've interned as a sports copy editor for various outlets. I reported on women's rowing for the Columbia Spectator while in school.

Favorite teams: Mets, New York Football Giants
    Favorite sports to watch live: baseball, basketball
    Favorite sports to watch on tv: baseball, football, hockey

What are your thoughts on the shortened overtime in NFL games?

I look forward to chatting!

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Hi maxrettig,

l'd like you to meet @YankeeFan , @QYFW and @Dick Whitman . Grab a seat and make yourself at home. Don't be shy about helping yourselves to punch and cookies.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    Captain_Kirk and QYFW like this.
  3. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

Why do you like the Mets?

cjericho likes this.
  4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Oh no.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Welcome, max, and the best of luck and enjoyment on this fine message board!

[​IMG]

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Max,

Why didn't you do more than report on women's rowing while in college? You need to get you some experience.

7. maxrettig

maxrettig New Member

I was on a student news blog for my first two years, doing a lot of basic sports coverage and athlete interviews, and then did women's rowing (as well as men's heavyweight and lightweight in the fall) and swimming/diving for the Spectator my last 3 semesters. Also, a couple of baseball pieces and many in-depth features. I did sports radio for the university radio station for three years as well.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Who's the best baseball player Columbia ever produced?

9. maxrettig

maxrettig New Member

Lou Gehrig

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

But did Lou ever do this?

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Great googily-moogily........I sure do miss the night-shift on SJ.
    If this was up, and the night-shift got on here and saw it......well, let's just say it would have been torture.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

We are now at double digit posts on this thread, and no one has requested the required free beer from our young Max.
    Fail.

Draft saved Draft deleted