1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

These things always wander way the hell off the rails. My only argument w.r.t. the Jeff Davis bit is that his lionization, via the emergence of the "Lost Cause" myth, doesn't embed naturally in a "segregationists vs. not" narrative. History doesn't play out in such neatly tied bundles.

YankeeFan likes this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

To be fair, his father was involved with politicians, but I don't recall him taking on such an activist role. But taking a hard conservative stance seems to be required of those involved in big religion nowadays, despite those pesky words in the Bible about helping the poor, etc.

3. doctorquant

Meh, I won't belabor the argument, but I don't buy the idea that being a conservative cannot be reconciled with Biblical imperatives re: "the least of these"

SpeedTchr likes this.
  4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I absolutely believe it can be. I hope American conservatism gets around to it one of these days

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

JFC, have two father-in-laws ever been neck and neck in the scumbag department like these two?

6. doctorquant

Follow me.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Why not. People have been pulling down statues of the conquered and the vanquished for time immemorial. If the South wanted to keep the statues of their leaders for all time, they should have won the war. Alas. There will probably come a time when the U.S. is overrun or destroyed and Arlington National Cemetery isn't what it is right now. To think we can escape such fates is to not know history.

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I could see Arlington National being paved over to make way for the Chelsea Clinton Presidential Library.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Times reporting Trump told the two Russians he fired Comey because of the Russia investigation and that it relieved "great pressure." This is like Watergate if Nixon confessed all the time

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

LongTimeListener and heyabbott like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.