1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roger Ailes dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, May 18, 2017.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

When Reagan finally kicked it, I and many others noted how "the second worst president in history" died today (the worst was in office at the time). But we begrudgingly admitted that Reagan's 1980s campaigns and presidency built the modern-day Republican Party.

Well, Ailes was right there with Reagan in building the Republican base. As Mike Huckabee noted in an Associated Press story, "The GOP has long had a problem speaking to people beyond the boardroom and country club. Roger changed that." Another way of putting it: Ailes used propaganda to make working-class and poor whites vote against their economic interest.

I despised Reagan and I loathed Roger Ailes, but you have to give the devils their due. Politically, they made the U.S. what it is today.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Wrong. Fox News is not "news."

It's televised "conservative" masturbation.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't think you and I have a disagreement here.

I'm not looking for any articles lionizing him. I don't doubt that he was a vile sexual harasser and a horrible person.

I don't even care if you leave out that he changed the landscape of politics and news when discussing his life/death.

But, when folks like @Ace want to minimize his accomplishments, that's silly. And, pointing that out doesn't mean I'm defending the guy, or looking for a 1000 word essay on how he helped Nixon become president.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm saying -- again -- it's much easier to be successful if you don't care about the consequences of your actions or how it affects other people.

He was a cancer on America and turned a lot of decent people into fearful, paranoid, hate-spewing imbeciles.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Which was a bigger accomplishment? Creating CNN or FoxNews?

7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I would love to compare your current-day posts with those from five years ago.

BTExpress likes this.
  8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Are you sure they were decent to begin with? What kind of person just regurgitates political talking points without putting any thought into what they say?

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

A Republican?:p

(runs away)

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

1. Yes.

2. Are you familiar with Facebook?

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Fitting that you would assume people can't think for themselves.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This little subtextual thing you think you've got going isn't working.

Draft saved Draft deleted