1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I've looked and looked and can't seem to find the words "urged" or "warned" (or versions thereof) in that AP article.

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Couldn't get the AP link to work. Same info without the editorial bias.

3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

They didn't want him to sign.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That is simplistic. It wasn't a cause and effect situation. There was certainly overlap, but the South in general did not embrace the Lost Cause and put up statues as an embrace of segregation. Most of the Southerners from say 1880 - 1930, when most of these statues were erected, did not embrace the idea that it was a war over slavery. They were memorializing the struggle and successes of a largely undersupplied and overmatched Confederate Army against a larger, better equipped, Union Army. There were a lot of people still alive who remembered Reconstruction and its excesses. Those included forcing blacks into their government, which did inflame racist sentiments.

I grew up in Georgia, which has 159 counties, and damn near every courthouse square in those small towns had a statue of a Confederate soldier facing North. That wasn't about racism. The statues of the generals went up because they took armies of ill fed and often barefoot soldiers and won against the odds. There are not nearly as many statues of Jefferson Davis, who was largely ineffectual. I'd bet Lee and Jackson outnumber him by ten to one or better.

That history, and that animosity against the North, was co-opted by the Klan and other racists. It was an easy button to push, a lever to move people's emotions. Certainly the Confederate flag was always seen as a racist symbol by blacks, and quite rightly.

I have no problem with a majority black city like New Orleans deciding to remove those symbols from large public spaces. If I were black no doubt I'd be pushing for it as well.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Every town in New England has a memorial to its Civil War dead. Such memorials in the states that went Confederate are entirely appropriate. Everyone deserves to mourn and remember. But the statues of Davis, Lee, Beauregard, etc. are a different matter.

7. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

The white's only ceremony to dedicate the statue to Jeff Davis in New Orleans and the Stone Mountain monument - funded by the KKK - agree: The South did not put up statues of Confederate war heroes as an embrace of segregation.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If you ask a FCC commissioner to communicate, he might have the government's gun thugs rough you up.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Yes, it would be a perfectly reasonable inside news brief. Not an hour-long teevee show preceded by at least half a day's wall-to-wall hyping.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I'm wondering how many King George III statues there are in the US. Thomas Gage? William Howe ? Charles Cornwallis? John Burgoyne? Plenty of Tories in the colonies and later the States in the late 18th century.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

General Benedict Arnold won some stirring battles in the Revolutionary War. Where are the statues for him?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.