1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roger Ailes dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, May 18, 2017.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The notion that he was a despicable human being seems to take precedence. There are many despicable people. It's an unremarkable thing to be.

And of course he worked in the news industry. And he was a titan of it.

2. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

A backpacker is traveling through Ireland when it starts to rain. He decides to wait out the storm in a nearby pub. The only other person at the bar is an older man staring at his drink. After a few moments of silence the man turns to the backpacker and says in a thick Irish accent:

"You see this bar? I built this bar with my own bare hands. I cut down every tree and made the lumber myself. I toiled away through the wind and cold, but do they call me McGreggor the bar builder? No."

He continued "Do you see that stone wall out there? I built that wall with my own bare hands. I found every stone and placed them just right through the rain and the mud, but do they call me McGreggor the wall builder? No."

"Do ya see that pier out there on the lake? I built that pier with my own bare hands, driving each piling deep into ground so that it would last a lifetime. Do they call me McGreggor the pier builder? No."

"But ya fuck one goat..."

Chef2, UPChip, Riptide and 2 others like this.
  3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

None of this has anything to do with what you posted and it's not a response to my post.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

He was a despicable human on a personal level and he brought a despicable new landscape to the television news industry. You remember him the way you want to remember him, I'll remember him the way I want to remember him.

jr/shotglass and BadgerBeer like this.
  5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Stick to horny teachers.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

After two trials ended in hung juries, Arbuckle was acquitted in the third trial after the jury deliberated just six minutes and spent part of that time writing an apology to him because there was so much media coverage claiming he was guilty in order to sell more papers. He had been described by friends as pretty shy around women.

Let's not compare him to a serial sexual harasser.

QYFW likes this.
  7. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Yeah, keep it classy, the way Roger would have wanted it.

8. poindexter

Dude had 10 sexual harrassment lawsuits, many from faces we see on tv every day. That is not unremarkable.
    Roger Ailes sexual harassment scandal: A timeline

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Alma is an interesting poster but he is not what I would consider a women's lib activist.

10. poindexter

Bill Cosby was a pioneer on network TV. His Jello pudding pop ads changed the landscape of tv!

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

True statement.

Doesn't mean the focus shouldn't be on other maters, but to deny it is silly.

@Ace seems to think he could have the dame career as Ailes -- minus the sexual harassment I assume -- given the same opportunity. That denies the obvious talents the guy had.

Pointing out these talents does nothing to minimize his awfulness.

12. poindexter

Whatever quibble you have with Ace not withstanding, and with all due respect - write your own fucking eulogy for him! Quit expecting people who hate his guts to write posts that you (obviously) want to read.

I haven't read anything libelous or incorrect about him. He was a vile sexual harasser. A horrible person. He also did a ton to change the political and tv landscape. But for you and alma to expect people to be 'fair and balanced' about his life and write according to your standards is asinine. Nobody is stopping you from writing a 1000 word essay on how he helped Richard Nixon become president. Do it and quit expecting the libtards to do it for you.

Draft saved Draft deleted