1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eyeglasses

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JohnHammond, May 8, 2017.

1. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Fascinated by eyeglasses, since I'm pretty blind without them and hate paying close to $300 or more for glasses if you get them somewhere than Walmart or Costco. Used Zenni a few times, and found a U.S. frame manufacturers that is reasonable that also grinds lenses (less than $150 for frames you'd recognize,).

Thoughts on eyeglasses and where to buy them. Used FramesDirect for my latest pair.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Zenni for life. Cheap shit is fine when you can replace it for $10

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Get a job with a vision plan and it's much cheaper than $300.

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Guangzhou. Amazing glasses market. I had a pair for every day of the week. I stepped on one pair and broke it recently and was bummed. At $40, it was the most expensive pair I got while there. I miss it, especially since glasses are so expensive in Istanbul.

That said, though, my Walmart pair is still my favorite

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Distance or reading glasses?

Please don't tell me a lot of shitheads are on our nation's roads with Walmart distance glasses.

6. JohnHammond

What's wrong with Walmart glasses (not the OTC readers)?

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Dollar store 1.50+ readers. My distance vision is still fine.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I know they sell frames and some have vision centers, but you actually go somewhere else and get a lens prescription, right?

What I'm driving at is that you just don't buy some pre-made distance glasses off the shelf like you do with reading glasses. I've got enough to worry about with drunks, users and texters on the highways.

9. JohnHammond

There are optometrists working in Walmart Vision Centers. All the lab work is done off site, though, so it's not like you get a prescription and buy glasses off-the-shelf. I think the glasses are already put into frames at the lab, so the in-store employees just do adjustments and repairs.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

My vision sucks. Can't see clearly more than a foot or two in front of me without my glasses. I'm at the age where I need progressive lenses.
    I don't mess with my glasses, I go to the local optometrist to buy my glasses, knowing everything is going to be done right.

Roscablo and Vombatus like this.
  11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I go through phases -- daily contact lenses vs. glasses. I got a pair of progressives a while back at Warby Parker. ... I had my eyes checked by my own guy, then brought the prescription into one of their stores in NY. I know that isn't an option everywhere, and I am not sure I would be comfortable buying glasses online (especially progressives) if you don't have a store nearby, but what I got was fine and reasonably priced for progressives (if you compare to a typical optometrist shop).

12. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Current glasses are Etnias that cost around 220$ after insurance. I buy glasses once every few year and contacts every year. Sign up or promotive and buy glasses from Smith Optics.

Draft saved Draft deleted