1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Frank Deford calls it a day

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CD Boogie, May 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

saw his name trending on Twitter. Thankful he's just retiring and not dead. Interviewed him a few years ago. Class act, gave me like two hours of his time. Has any sportswriter had a better, more varied career?

Liut likes this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Ring Lardner, perhaps.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I had a similar experience when I interviewed him back in the mid-'80s. He invited me to his home in Westport and we had a great conversation for a couple hours one weekday afternoon. It was a year or two after his daughter, Alexandra, had died from cystic fibrosis and he had written a short book about her, so I remember talking about that. I admire the guy.

Liut and jimluttrell1963 like this.
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

About the nicest man ever to grace the profession and an astonishingly good writer. In the '70s and '80s, none better and few matched him. If you can find it (I had it in paperback in college, long time ago) his novel "Cut n' Run" is one of the funniest yet pointed books on pro football, Deford's home town of Baltimore and the '60s in general you could want.

Liut and jimluttrell1963 like this.
  5. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I have a big collection of SIs from between 1975-79, and his articles are some of the best reads from that time period. His multi-part series on religion and sport from (I think) 1976 was quite good.

Liut likes this.
  6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My only Frank Deford story. ... About 15 to 20 years ago, I rode the subway with him. Nobody recognized him, I struck up a 20 minute conversation. He was a super nice guy. He actually gave me his info before we parted ways, but I never called him -- there was no natural reason to. For years it was one of my go-to, "Cool things that happen to you in NYC" stories.

lcjjdnh, Liut, Doc Holliday and 2 others like this.
  7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Will have to check that out

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And he trolled soccer fans as he walked out the door.

9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

His NPR bit was unlistenable. Sanctimonious piece of crap usually. I liked his writing, but I won't miss him on NPR.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

When in Rome...

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I haven't seen him on HBO's Real Sports in a while either, though the stories about his NPR retirement say he still contributes there.

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Met him in college when he "moderated" a panel discussion with Billy Martin, Calvin Hill, and Red Auerbach. Met him again years later when he visited a colleague at our office. A more gracious man you won't meet.

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted