1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Albert Breer wants proof about the n-word at Fenway

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CD Boogie, May 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Albert Breer Wants Proof That Adam Jones Was Recipient of a Racial Slur at Fenway Park

Lately Breer has become the go-to defender for Boston's sordid history of racism. Now he wants proof that Adam Jones actually was called the n-word.

Is it horrible to want some proof? I dunno. I've probably been to 200 games at Fenway in my life. Never heard a slur yelled at a player
    We're talking about a place where vendors sold T-shirts that said, "Jeter has AIDS."

I'm a Sox fan. Sadly, Jones' story doesn't surprise me. And Breer asking for proof is not a good look. Proof? From a guy who makes his living writing stories that are basically always he said, she said. Jones didn't say he heard it once; he said he heard it multiple times. Maybe wait for the local reporters to interview some fans, maybe even some of the ones who got kicked out.

Meanwhile, Bomani Jones is on the scene.

Defending Boston's supposedly evolving stance on race relations is something I'd expect from the dog whistler Clay Travis. The team AND the governor apologized for fans' behavior. It's possible they jumped the gun. But more likely security told them exactly what happened, corroborated Jones' story, etc.

In short, Breer should have given this a wide berth.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

It's Boston.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Maybe Breer thought it was Pacman making the allegation.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If Breer has been going to games at Fenway for years and has never heard a slur thrown at a player, he's deaf. Less bad than it was, oh, 30 years ago, but Sox have become worst of four teams here in fan behavior. Pats fans under martial law at Gillette, Celtics fans reserve bad behavior for refs, and the Bruins fans have improved their behavior immensely since new Garden built.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The entire city of Boston was framed.

7. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I believe Jones believes he was called the N-word.

cranberry, Rhody31 and SnarkShark like this.
  8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

There probably isn't a professional or major college sports stadium in the US where that word doesn't get used annually. People suck.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Cripes.

Why am I reminded of those defending the scumbags who beat up Brian Stow, saying he was "asking for it" by wearing Giants garb in Dodger Stadium. But this is worse. Jones didn't have a choice in his ethnicity.

10. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

So if people choose to wear opponents' gear, they are more deserving to be physically attacked and seriously injured than someone is to have slurs shouted at him?

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Since I know you live to troll here, let's make it clear: Neither incident should have happened. But people are assholes sometimes.

12. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

I respond in a questioning fashion only to those who have displayed a similar pattern. Or to those who say incredibly puzzling things.

Your post here covers both bases.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.