1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Santa Fe (N.M.) Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by doctorquant, Mar 8, 2013.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Driving the family up to Santa Fe, NM, for spring break this week. Planning on some skiing, but will probably do some other things, too. I enjoy the board's thoughts on destinations, so I hereby humbly request the board's input on restaurants, sights, etc.

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Start here: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/3548086/

Albuquerque is close enough you can do a day or two there if you want.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I was going to say, beware of a religious hippie bumming hillbilly heroin up round Santa Fe way. But he's back in Texas now, so you're safe.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Lots of traveling to New Mexico.

I, for one, look forward to getting a green chile cheeseburger at Blake's and, maybe, a breakfast burrito.

5. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I've driven New Mexico end to end several times of late. Some beautiful scenery for a midwest guy. Watching the threads for things to hit my next time through.

6. doctorquant

OK, so that is a definite on the old "must do" list!

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Georgia O'Keefe Museum. Loretto Chapel. El Santuario de Chimayo (up the road, near Espanola).

Visit Taos and Los Alamos and Abiquiu.

If you go back in the spring, ride the Cumbres-Toltec Scenic Railroad from Chama to Antonito, Colorado.

Likewise, the Opera once the season opens.

8. doctorquant

Am back and had a great time. We passed on Blake's -- local tourist info person said Blake's has gone "too commercial" -- but tried out Bert's (just across the street). Fabulous. So good, in fact, that at Los Alamos the next day, I tried a local diner's version and it was damn good, too!

Thanks for all the tips everyone.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Bump.

Looks like the family and I will be traveling from central Kansas to El Paso -- Griswold style -- for a good old fun-filled family vacation. We'll have about 10 days, four of which I'm sure will be dedicated pretty much solely to driving.

We plan on taking the scenic route and picking up the Santa Fe Trail from the northeastern side of the state. Maybe a couple of days in Santa Fe, and one in Albuquerque before heading down to El Paso to see a friend for a day or two.

Any new suggestions here? Maybe some for Albuquerque?

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Make sure you turn left.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

White Sands, Billy the Kid's (alleged) grave site, Trinity test site, Route 66, the VLA west of Socorro.

Draft saved Draft deleted