1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Cuts at ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Mar 7, 2017.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

About a decade ago, Finn worked at the Globe in design or something like that. He had a personal blog about the Red Sox and Boston sports in general. Boston.com started hosting it and he became a "voice of the fan" type on the site with his blog, weekly chats, and video debates with Bob Ryan or whomever. He was never a homer, but he wrote about the experience of watching and would discuss plays and managerial decisions to a degree you wouldn't see in the paper. A lot changed as boston.com increasingly became separated from The Boston Globe. However, Finn started writing for the Globe as the sports media writer after the position had been eliminated a while back. I believe he still has his day job in laying out the paper.

2. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Money quote from Deadspin yesterday....

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

So? The rights fees are locked in through the term of the deal. Is Deadspin suggesting ESPN shouldn't be cutting costs when it's bleeding subscribers?

LongTimeListener likes this.
  4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

There is definitely a balance, no question. The older I have gotten, the more that I "pick my spots" when it comes to each workday. My fear, I suppose, is that I love what I do so much that I don't mind putting in the extra effort. That approach has survived six station layoffs in 20 years in the business.

Eventually, the blade will get me and I know this.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

First good news out of the whole damn story

spikechiquet likes this.
  7. exmediahack

The one canning I don't feel bad over.

8. Moderator1

C'mon gang, let's not rejoice over someone losing a job. That's weak. You don't have to bemoan it but don't celebrate it.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

She's an awful human being with a beautiful face. She'll be fine in this world.

10. exmediahack

There are 74 or so Fox Regional Sports Networks looking for sideline reporters. She'll be on a sideline, asking her two questions of Coach at halftime, by next Wednesday.

11. Moderator1

Still, don't rejoice over someone losing a job no matter how much you may hate them. A bad look and you guys are better than that

MileHigh and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  12. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

NFL rights are almost two billion a year. 100 people got let go. If they all made an average of a million a year, that's still nothing.

Further fun with math. If all 8000 or so of ESPN employees worldwide made a quarter of a million a year, and you laid 7950 of them off, leaving just a kid on the 50-yard line with a cell phone for each game, that would pay for one year's rights.

So they're just diminishing the product , which drives away more subscribers.

Draft saved Draft deleted