1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Cuts at ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Hub Man Dies in New York Nuclear Blast, Chapter 1,285,467.

lcjjdnh likes this.
  2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Holy crap. That idiot works at the Globe?

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Maybe read the link before commenting on it.
    Finn - who's probably the most, if not only, balanced guy in Boston - does this Sports Q thing every week where he answers questions from readers. In this one, he says:

lcjjdnh likes this.
  4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Maybe her hotness saved her. I believe all the beautiful sideline babe types have been spared, as have the bloviating take-screamers.

But, boy, has it ever been a nasty 24 hours for the normal-looking dudes doing solid professional work without shouting or self-promotion.

Ace likes this.
  5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Who's an idiot? Chad Finn? I've always enjoyed his writing, pretty funny guy, though I can't say I read him at all recently.

6. LongTimeListener

Never heard of him, but he wrote that.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

But you do understand he was debunking that school of thought, right?

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I don't know much about Finn, but we all know the Boston sports writing fraternity has some weirdos.

9. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Former colleagues were on ESPN's cut list, at least one of whom nobody likely knows because he's an editor. Many Gannett colleagues in the Asbury Park (N.J.) Design Studio are also being laid off.

I agree with you, and suspect many of us feel that same tension regardless of medium. But I'm exhausted, chasing things that don't feel all that important anymore.

At some point, looking out for oneself has to include physical and emotional well-being.

10. LongTimeListener

Was he? No. I wouldn't click on that crap so I wouldn't know that. If that's what he was doing, though, I'll change from "idiot" to "click-baiter."

JimmyHoward33 and YankeeFan like this.
  11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Yeah, working constantly in fear of losing your job is no way to fucking live, IMHO. You might think you're raising your profile and earning brownie points, but just as likely the powers that be aren't noticing. I'm not saying you should ever mail it in or not go above and beyond, but you also have to keep in mind that tomorrow is promised to no one. Gotta strike a balance.

cranberry likes this.
  12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Hey, I think it's amazing he has time to be the lead singer of the Hold Steady and still write for the Boston Globe.

Oh. Chad Finn.

Draft saved Draft deleted