1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things that irk you......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I like to answer "lousy" or "terrible." A lot of times, it throws the salesperson off. They're used to hearing that the person is fine.

Chef2 and HC like this.
  2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not playing food snob. They just decided to randomly give me about 20 packets of mild sauce (which does suck and is absolutely worthless) at the drive thru last night and it irked me since it happens on about three out of every 10 trips to Taco Bell.
    Similarly, getting fries at a burger place drive thru and they give you exactly two ketchup packets. It gets even worse when you ask for more and they give you one extra one, as if the damn things are packaged in gold leaf. Bonus points if it's at a place with waffle fries that soak up the ketchup and take roughly one packet per fry.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

For the record, I can't tell any of the Taco Bell sauces apart and they're all mild to me.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

You and I lock horns a bit, but on this one I think we would high five.

Unless high-fiving irks you.

Then we would fist bump.

Tweener likes this.
  5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Mild is like water. Hot and Fire have enough zip to them without being overwhelming.
    Diablo is a little too much, but fun in small doses. A bag full of tacos loaded down with Diablo sauce and a long drive home is just asking for trouble.

6. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I had two coaches in the same game say "on the mound" during interviews earlier this week, and one is a former DI collegiate player (who did at least correct herself on her second 'mound' reference.

7. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

No love for Taco Bell Verde sauce?

[​IMG]

Fantastic movie. A true classic!

Batman likes this.
  8. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Outside the office: People who ignore the easily readable "10 items or less" sign and go through the supermarket's express lane with 25 or 30 items (encountered that one this morning).

At the office: Use of "gonna" and "gotta" in quotes, and reporters and editors who defend it -- even though our stylebook entry clearly states, "Substandard English and not used in this paper."

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Verde sauce is hit or miss in its availability near me. I always thought it was a special or experimental offering, not a regular one.
    In any event ... nah. It's OK mixing with one of the others, but not by itself.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I applaud your efforts.
    Please talk to sports guy/woman about use of 'on the night' and 'on the season.'

I hear this one in game broadcasts as well as in TV and radio sports news all the time. Drives me insane, as I've said many times.
    Not only is it ridiculous nonsense, it is utterly unnecessary.

'Joey finishes 0-for-6 on the night.'
    'Joey was 0-for-4 on the night.'
    'Joey is 0-for-47 on the season.'
    Why? Why say that?
    Broadcasters at the end of the game, just say 'Joey finished 0-for-6.' At the most, just add 'tonight.'
    'Joey went 0-for-4.' If you are recapping that night's game on the local news, the context tells the viewers that you are talking about his performance in that night's game.
    If you want to tell us how poorly Joey is hitting so far this season, then add the necessary context: Just say 'Joey is 0-for-47 this season.'

Johnny Dangerously likes this.
  11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It sure as hell fucking feels like it ...

I Should Coco and QYFW like this.
  12. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Plenty of mounds in softball.

Draft saved Draft deleted