1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things that irk you......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Not really piss you off.......but just things that just get under your skin......

One of mine is hearing bad radio.
    Oh my word.
    Hearing some dude go crashing through the post, or worse, he tries to speed up his voice to go really really fast so he can hit the post.

Oh.....the next time I see a score of 53-71.........Ye Gods.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Misuse of the term meme
    Mispronunciation of GIF

I just heard both on Kurt Vonneguys.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

People who walk in crowds while looking down at their phones. At least once a week someone on a city street collides with me or has a near miss bc they're droning on their phone. This generation raised on iPhones is gonna be fucked

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Use of 'scuffling' to mean 'struggling:' He's really been scuffling at the plate.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Comprised of

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Everyday/every day. The really frustrating thing is I used to see it only in non-journalists' writing and advertisements. Lately, I've seen several violations by journos WHO SHOULD FUCKING KNOW BETTER.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Forty-something men who have never seen Pulp Fiction.

forever_town and Chef2 like this.
  8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Liberals
    Sports journalists
    Springsteen fans
    Ketchup

HandsomeHarley and SpeedTchr like this.
  9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It was so good the other night.

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I must irk the hell outta you, then :)
    Well, for many other reasons as well, I know, but this in particular.

11. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Bad grammar, punctuation and sentence structure, especially on news and newspaper websites and other social media. Don't call yourself a journalist and write like a second-grader.

"... accident at the intersection of Interstate 0 and Main Street." There is no intersection there -- it's a freeway, with on and off ramps.

"a car collided with a tree ..." Oh yeah, how fast was the tree going? A collision means both objects were moving.

"the accident happened at about 8:30 p.m." Really? It happened at 8:30 p.m. or about 8:30 p.m., but not both.

"Smith received injuries to his head ..." "Receive" means to readily accept. You don't receive injuries -- you sustain them.

"The next game will be in Bumblefuck Friday. Two proper nouns do not go back to back. If you just remember TIME, DATE and PLACE, in that order, you almost never need to use a preposition.

"on the mound" in a softball story. OK, that one more than irks me. There is no mound in softball. #threadjack

Tweener, MTM and Bronco77 like this.
  12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Sheffield Wednesday laughs.

Draft saved Draft deleted