1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roger Clemens still sticking to his bullshit story

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Apr 20, 2017.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Roger Clemens rips PED accusers, Mitchell Report

The Mitchell Report was released in December 2007 after almost two years of investigations, accusing almost 70 baseball players of PED use.

Clemens called the report, "nothing short of a 'Jerry Springer Show,'"

"I think, Joe, that if I didn’t have my family or my sisters or the tight-knit that everybody’s heard a little bit about, is that I’d probably tell everybody—excuse my language—to go (expletive) in their hat. That’s what I’d really like to do now that I know what I know. It’s shameful," Clemens said.
    Assholes like him and Pete Rose don't deserve the Hall of Fame. I'm all for giving dudes a second chance if they foul up, but not when they refuse to admit guilt, especially when it's crystal clear they're lying. It's insulting to everyone.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Because I love playing this game ... could you tell me what rule Clemens (or Bonds) violated and what punishment they escaped by covering it up? And as an added bonus, could you explain the difference between Clemens' and Bonds' use of steroids and the widespread use of illegal amphetamines by players in the 1960s?

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Bingo.

And he's obviously a lying piece of trash.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

He was framed.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

There's no real proof.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If Clemens used (and we all can reasonably guess that he did with a fair degree of certainty), of course he violated the rules. In 1990, Congress made steroids illegal with the Anabolic Steroids Control Act. Fay Vincent sent a memo the next season that specifically said that any illegal drug or controlled substance was prohibited by players, and any possession or use risked permanent expulsion from baseball. Since there was no testing in place, the memo effectively said, "Steroids are illegal. Don't get caught, fellas."

When home run numbers exploded in the mid 90s (1996 was a huge year), Bud Selig sent a rehash of Vincent's memo stating that steroids were illegal in baseball and told the clubs to remind their players. Again, there was no testing, so it amounted to, "Don't get caught!"

The meme that steroids weren't illegal in baseball is just revisionism. The players knew they were verboten, obviously. It's why every player using lied his ass off about it. If they WEREN'T illegal, they would not have lied one by one. They'd just say, "Sure I use / used. They aren't illegal." And of course that wasn't the case.

As for amphetamines and steroids, it is a matter of degree. They were both performance-enhancing drugs. And it is obvious to most people that the impact of steroids on the game has been way greater in terms of increased performance than amphetamines ever were.

bigpern23 likes this.
  7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

8. LongTimeListener

So steroids were essentially on a plane with marijuana or cocaine, and as we saw from the Steve Howe case and others, players "risked permanent expulsion" but were never permanently expelled. I'd wager a whole lot of money that if a steroid case ever made its way through baseball's arbitration system, the lack of defined penalties in the CBA would have vastly outweighed Fay Vincent's iron fist.

Regarding steroids vs. amphetamines, yeah it's a matter of degree, but both are performance-enhancing drugs. And amphetamines are treated the same as steroids now. So it is entirely true to say Willie Mays used a performance-enhancing substance that is now banned.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

he violated that law about not lying to Congress.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

So. .... no.

Steroids aren't on a plane wiht marijuana and cocaine. Steroids make guys hit baseballs way harder and farther than they ever had. Marijuana and cocaine don't do that.

11. LongTimeListener

But in terms of Fay Vincent's edict, they were exactly the same.

12. LongTimeListener

YankeeFan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted