1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your most hated bands/groups

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Apr 1, 2017.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

As far as the original question, first thing that comes to mind are the NuMetal bands with the 'Cookie Monster' vocalists.

Also Beyonce, not necessarily because of the music, but because of the prevailing attitude of many that she's supposed to be treated like some kind of royalty, and the fact that folks on awards shows have to apologize in their acceptance speech for winning in a category over her. Geez, she's an insanely successful pop star, no more, no less.

Other than that, I find I can easily avoid music and bands that I have no interest in. I don't listen to regular radio anymore, so nothing seems overplayed to me, and I can limit music in the car and home to stuff I know I like. Therefore, the real annoying stuff is pretty much off my radar.

And I still love Journey, Boston and Rush, so suck it haters. :)

FileNotFound and ChrisLong like this.
  2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

"Rock Brigade" is still my fave Def Leppard song.

Fly and mpcincal like this.
  3. MUTigers

MUTigers Member

There is no music on this planet worse than Pink Floyd. Banal, overwrought, never settle for one overdub when eight will do.

There is no music on this planet more overrated than Springsteen's. Springsteen is like Oakland. There's no "there" there.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think that take disqualifies you from being a sports writer. How will you ever drop Springsteen quotes into your stories if you don't know his songs?

5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I haven't listened to much of Springsteen outside of "Born in the U.S.A." Every once in a while, I'll hear a song of his on satellite radio, like Jungleland or Thunder Road, and listen to it all the way through. Without fail, I end up thinking, "Why the fuss?"

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

My favorite Springsteen songs are better known for being recorded by others, Blinded By The Light and Because The Night.

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Think sometimes Springsteen's fans may make people like him less. But he has a lot more songs better than Blinded By the Light and Because the Night. Just a few -- Backstreets, The River, Badlands, Darkness on the Edge of Town, Nebraska, Growin Up, 4th of July (Asbury Park).

8. Jake_Taylor

I don't think I'd ever argue those are his best songs, just my favorites.

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

You like his Because the Night better than Natalie Merchant's? I think she does it better than Bruce and Patti Smith.

10. Jake_Taylor

I will listen to all three in a row sometimes. I don't necessarily have a favorite version.

11. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

I like the Patti Smith version. It sounds more vampiric.

12. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

Ok everybody who "claims" to dislike Bruce is just reacting to the overboard love of bruce by his fans. How many of those same people love the cover versions of his songs, like blinded by the light , because the night, growing up, etc. anybody who grow up in the 60s and 70s can't deny that his music spoke about their lives , Especially if you're from New Jersey . And a Big part of his appeal is because of his concert performances .

And holy crap, you can't say grateful dead at all in this category . And I'll punch you in the face if you do. They still have the best version of the national anthem, ever, that they did at a giants game. I wish I was able to see them more than maybe two or three times I actually did before people started dying off .
    Meanwhile, my list of crap that I won't listen to is basically anything by Led Zeppelin, or the Eagles.
    And while I love " dazed and confused " as a movie that represents what teenage life was like in the 70s , (at least mine) Linkletter's choice of music for that movie was pretty crappy and didn't represent the time I don't think it all .

Draft saved Draft deleted