1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Big Ball Theory

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Mar 14, 2017.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

LOL.

You really have a screwy opinion of how much LaVar Ball means.

Stoney likes this.
  2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

That very well may be true. I don't claim intimate knowledge of UCLA. I'll stop now.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Because he is a blowhard jackass and many people will listen to his bs and not call him out on it. That may be what makes him think that. Wait for the next reporter to ask him about NFL Europe or World League, whatever it was called when he played. Bet he'll say how some there where better than guys in the NFL, same shit some say about guys in the CFL.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This is just absurd.

Why would "the rest of the best players in SoCal" follow LaVar's commands? He's not the king of California basketball, he's just some silly attention-whore we'd never heard of a few months ago, and after we tire of his clown act won't be hearing from again.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I could believe that Ball will smear UCLA to other parents and folks in Chino Hills, and maybe that'll have some sway to some and make UCLA change their tunes because he has the youngest son in the pipeline still. But I doubt anyone else in college basketball gives a shit about Ball.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I mentioned earlier how it's weird to me that people here seem to hate young athletes so much. Here's the follow up to that...

Why does LaVar Ball make you so mad?

LaVar Ball is entertaining as hell. Yeah, he's got an over-inflated estimation of his kids' talents (but make no mistake -- Lonzo is a great basketball player, and may not end up being the best of the three). He's a hilarious quote. He's like AAU dad meets Don King. Why does that piss you off so much? I mean, people are acting like he will damage his sons' careers. Like the Suns or Lakers will have the opportunity to draft Lonzo and they'll stop and think "I don't know.... his dad's t-shirts are kind of overpriced."

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It's not as brutal as in the pre-downturn days, but someone in the LA media is bound to tell dad to take an extra-strength chill pill. My money's on Plaschke, but only because T.J. Simers is off the payroll.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Why would even the rest of the parents and players in Chino Hills give a fuck what LaVar Ball wants?

As we deduced from the box score the other night, LaVar picks the players he likes, which include, 1) HIS SONS, who get all the shots; 2) Enough other players to legally put a team on the floor -- those players play every single second and that's it, and 3) Everybody else can go suck moose cocks in hell.

Doesn't exactly develop a lot of one-for-all team spirit.

It would have been real real fun to hear the commentary from the Chino Hills family members after they lost the tourney game.

"Hey hey hey hey hey wait, I thought you said our kids had to totally subjugate their whole athletic existence to the greater glory of your boys, because We Were Going To Be The Champions."
    "We aren't the champions. Why Not?"

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

LaVar Ball and his boys are here to change the world

Standing outside of UCLA’s locker room after the Bruins’ 77-68 victory over Washington State, Ball greeted UCLA head coach Steve Alford in inimitable style.

“Steve Alford!" Ball boomed. “Hey, man, you all right? I got some tissue for you."

It was Senior Night, and Ball said he’d spotted tears in Alford’s eyes during the pregame ceremony when Alford’s son Bryce, a senior guard, walked across the arena floor.

“To make me cry,’’ LaVar Ball said, “you’ve got to hit me with a 2-by-4."

Yeah. He's awesome. Not like that pussy girlie-man coach.

The kids are fine. (Lonzo anyway, he's the only one we've seen in the public eye.) The dad is a complete fucking asshole who has most likely ruined the youth and high school experience for dozens (hundreds?) of kids along the way, not to mention setting up his younger boys for failure.

If there's anyone besides LaVar Ball who says anything close to this, I sure haven't seen it. The one who's going to UCLA next year is kind of a below-average recruit for them. Who knows on the younger one. But LaVar hasn't done them any favors, that's for sure.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Papa Ball more powerful than UCLA? Will speak and Chino Hills will listen? Some here are putting way too much importance in what he says.

11. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

Eh?

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

OK.
    A brief synopsis.
    The kid at UCLA now will be the best of the 3 by far.
    Middle kid will be a 4 year player at UCLA.
    Small kid may score 35 a night, but give up 45, so it doesn't matter.

Draft saved Draft deleted