1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College basketball coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Over the weekend, KSU saw Bruce get blown out in the first round while Illinois hired Underwood and three of its former coaches advanced to the Sweet 16.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I also have a bunch of old, Chicago ties. I don't wear them much anymore. Too many geometric patterns.

Big Circus and Chef2 like this.
  3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Touche.

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

The Illini picked John Groce in part because he plucked D.J. Cooper out of Chicago, didn't they? That didn't seem to really translate over to the Illinois job.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Holy shit. I didn't know Jankovich was making 1.75
    I still remember him as an assistant at Hutch JUCO making jack shit.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Isn't that weird? I'll see D3 coaches I covered 15 years ago making $40k now clearing $500k in big jobs with entourages and airplanes.

My daughter loves basketball. I'm trying to encourage her to have an interest in coaching women's college ball one day. Stacks and stacks of cash, no one cares if you win and you only need to graduate players and make sure the coaches aren't sleeping with the starters.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Jank left Hutch the year before I enrolled. His successor, Tim Duryea also became a D-I head coach at Utah State. The guy after that is now coaching at Hutch High and likely not making anything close to seven figures.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Or it could get them a date with the Committee on Infractions if the "old Chicago ties" resemble what they used to entail.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Wait. Didn't DJ Cooper hijack a plane out of Portland in the 1970s?
    Oh. Right. DB Cooper.

10. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Now that Rhody has its first tourney win in 19 years (and came within a hair of knocking off Oregon), time for the annual D-Hurl rumors.

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Good story. Back in 1999 nobody could know that Gonzaga would become a powerhouse program that would persist for the next 18 years. The way it worked was you made your splash at a mid-major and cashed in, lest you stay too long and miss your payday as some others have done. The cautionary tale of Mike Newell springs to mind.

Liut and exmediahack like this.
  12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That he was only making $100,000 is mind-boggling. The jump to $800,000 was a no-brainer.

My wife and I were making well over $100,000 combined in 1999.

Draft saved Draft deleted