1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lent Madness

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

My wife spotted this and pointed it out to me. Some of it is in earnest, and some is firmly tongue in cheek. There is a Lent Madness bracket, with the participants voting on which saints advance toward the Faithful Four and eventually the Golden Halo.

Bracket 2017

http://www.lentmadness.org/2017/03/lent-madness-takes-on-march-madness/#

And there is also an analysis of the level of saintliness of the various schools involved in March Madness, broken down into "The Obvious", like St. Marys and Notre Dame, "The Perhaps", like Louisville (because they are Cardinals, although recent events argue that they're not very saintly), and "The Give Me A Break", like Duke - "Duke University (Blue Devils) - It does not matter how many games or titles Coach K has won. Your team is named after a blue tinted version of Satan".

I'm sure that many here would agree.

Bob Valvano even did a breakdown of Lent Madness on ESPN Radio, which was pretty funny. He bemoaned the lack of Joe Lunardi's assistance, and brought in ecclesiastic advisor for some bracketology.

Starts at 21:24.

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I call BS on Joan of Arc falling in the round of 32

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Her post game left a lot to be desired.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

On the contrary, I find her post game to be on fire

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Spartan Squad likes this.
  6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I thought this thread was going to be about what kinds of things you would give up for Lent, kind of like Seinfeld's Contest, but with 31 or 63 or 67 more options.

Disappointing.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Playing above the rim.

[​IMG]

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I had lint madness drying clothes today.

9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Neither Francis Xavier nor Francis of Assisi? No St. Columbkille? Total bullshit.

10. Neutral Corner

They didn't meet the eye test.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

What? I didn't look at the bracket, but I thought the animal lover Assisi would have been a favorite.

12. Neutral Corner

This is basically a contest among theologians. The normal standards for popularity don't apply with this voting audience.

Draft saved Draft deleted