1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

3 Gannett papers going to 3-days-per-week

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 8, 2017.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

If it were that cut and dried, newspapers wouldn't be shrinking.

What you have are a lot of corporations who have had years of 20% profit margins. And when they see a 12% profit margin, they jump ship.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Nobody has seen a 20 percent profit margin in more than a decade.

What these companies DO deal with every day, however, is servicing debt that for some chains is in the billions. McClatchy only recently got its debt below the $1 billion mark and did a reverse stock split (1 for 10) because it kept risking getting de-listed as the price kept falling below $1.

I'm pretty sure this company's problems go beyond dealing with "only" a 12 percent profit margin.

3. Dr StrangePork

Dr StrangePork New Member

They need to go to Texas on a Friday night in the fall and see if it matters

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They'd ignore the reality, then hold a bunch of meetings with the remainder of the staff to brainstorm for more ideas on how to increase readership and web clicks without actually having to spend any money.

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

If two .500 level teams play in the suburbs of Dallas or Houston what would the game draw. I read about the fabulous stadiums and the fan interest but is that confined to the powerhouse programs?

6. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

But isn't web traffic the point? If covering Friday night football in Texas will drive people online, then there'd be a reason to keep paying someone to cover it without the print obligations.

It becomes a quest to determine what moves the needle how much. Hockey in Wisconsin? Wrestling in Pennsylvania? Maybe boys lacrosse in northern New Jersey?

I tend to avoid the analytics for my site, because on their face, the numbers are depressing. I find it hard to get all charged up over triple-digit page views, even if that's three times as many clicks as the next thing.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well yes. The problem, though, is that Gannett has its "one size fits all" mentality, and doesn't take into account local tastes. They'll come up with this early deadline and reduced resources, then complain when its papers aren't getting the clicks, then want a whole new initiative to try to get those clicks, without spending the money to do it.

Dr StrangePork likes this.
  8. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Then when they come up with some hairbrained ideas (with lots of corporate-speak) that are doomed to fail, they get awarded big, fat bonuses ... :(

Bronco77 and Baron Scicluna like this.
  9. Dr StrangePork

Dr StrangePork New Member

I can't say about Houston, never covered a game down there. In Dallas/Ft Worth it depends on the program.
    In the area of the Texas Gannett papers, yes. Abilene, San Angelo and Wichita Falls usually draw big crowds every week regardless of record. Though the years they are good, the crowds are even bigger. The small towns around them also draw really well in regards to the population. It is still a big social gathering, not to mention there ain't a damn thing to do otherwise

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

How many page views typically would drive a story on to the most viewed list at your paper. What is that as a percentage of your circulation?

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Don't most readers check reporters' Twitter accounts for Friday night scores, brief recaps and photos/video? How does the newspaper website benefit from that?

EDIT: newspaper website

12. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

Because Twitter.

Draft saved Draft deleted