1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Big Ball Theory

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Good Grief.
    Relax.

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Yeah I definitely think they deserve to die for what they've done.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If you've ever covered high school sports and/or recruiting, you've run into many potential LaVar Balls in your life.

There are plenty of pain-in-the-ass sports parents out there living through their kids and trying to bathe in the reflected glory. It's just that they're not all the fathers of future NBA lottery picks.

I Should Coco likes this.
  4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Them? No. You? Definitely.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Depends on which president you're talking about.

Donny in his element likes this.
  6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Who do you think you are? Michael Gee?

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

There was a takeout feature on Ball and the family in the OCR on Sunday. A lot of the stuff has been mentioned in previous posts.
    -- A 19-shot slideshow and a video with no pictures of the wife/mom. Only mention was dad saying he takes care of the athletics and discipline, she takes care of the academics to keep them on point. And yes, he did say he was at Cal State L.A. and saw this beautiful, athletic 6-footer, etc., etc, etc.
    -- When I first became aware of these folk about a year ago, they were saying it was dad's dream to have all three of his sons playing together at UCLA. Shortly after that, it changed to him wanting all three to be one-and-dones.
    -- This quote from dad in the story when asked if he had too much power at Chino Hills. "Yes, but I'll give it back to them when we're done."
    -- Last season, Chino Hills won the state championship and the coach was national coach of the year. He quit saying he wanted to spend more time with his family. He was hired by Fairfax High two weeks later. The Chino Hills assistant was promoted to head coach of this high-profile program, his first heading coach position. He tried and failed to keep dad out of the locker room one time.
    -- All of the Chino Hills players know they have to be on dad's AAU team ($10,000 to $15,000 a year) if they are going to make the high school team.
    -- He already has a clothing line -- Big Baller Brand -- and is selling hoodies at $100 a pop. I wonder what the NCAA thinks about that.
    -- All of the kids shoot their jumpers from chest level, even lower than the shot put method. What will dad think when they eventually run into somebody taller and quicker who is going to swat that shot back in their faces.
    -- UCLA has already has experience with Ball brothers. A few years ago twin defensive linemen Mat and Dave Ball were on the team. One game they combined to sack the quarterback. The radio announcer calling the play said: "... back to pass, sacked by Mat Ball ... and Dave Ball ... IT'S A TWIN BALL SAC."

I Should Coco, Riptide and Big Circus like this.
  8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

You're the one calling for high school kids to get debilitating injuries.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Hmmmm.

HS basketball roster includes 12 players. Two are his own sons so 10 outside the family.

All 10 of these players are required to pay Dad $15,000 each to be on his AAU team.

$15,000 x 10 = $150,000 for Daddy.

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

The box score of their game last week was very interesting.
    In an OVERTIME GAME, four players played every minute including OT. Of course including the Ball kids.
    One player was taken out for 1:30 when he fouled out.

SO, of the 12 player roster, of the 10 players not named Ball, for their $15,000 season investment:
    Two got 35 minutes PT
    One got 33.5 minutes PT
    One got 1.5 minutes PT
    Six got Zero Minutes PT

Of course, of team FG attempts, the Ball kids combined for about 25-90 while Everybody Else Put Together was about 9-19. Of which a real good goddamn guess is about 15 were tip-in attempts.

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Don't leave out Boogie. He wants them to die.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That's on brand for him. But I think of Chef as good folks, which is why it shocked me.

12. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

This is why you don't rep for a company that will sign him.

Draft saved Draft deleted