1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2016-17 College Rings Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Wait. 6 teams in the tourney have 30 wins.

Villanova
    SMU
    Gonzaga
    Arizona
    MTSU
    Wichita State

How is that not beating anyone? You can't fault them because everyone else in the MVC sucks.
    And it's not like they got shit-housed OOC.....lose by 5 to Louisvilla......10 to MSU.......

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I didn't say they didn't beat anyone. I said they lost to every decent team they played, which is true. Gonzaga is in a similar situation, but went out and beat Arizona, Florida and Iowa State.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I just think Wichita State got jobbed on their seeding. That's all.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Troy was the sixth seed in a mediocre at best conference. That's not an exceptionally good year.

5. Jake_Taylor

Maybe so, but the problem is there's no good way to do it that works girl both the big conferences and the mid-majors. Seeding based on the eye test would be a mess. Doing as Barkley suggested and rewarding MTSU and Wichita for what they've done in previous seasons makes no sense.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I just don't see the competitive disadvantage for Wichita St. as a 10. They play a seven in the first round and a two in the second. If they're good enough to win the first one (I think so), it's the seven seed that's getting screwed, not them.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

For Troy it is a fabulous year. And Jax State broke something like a six-year drought of not making the OVC tournament.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

For Troy it is.

9. Jake_Taylor

Yeah, that's a tough draw for Dayton. And even if you think WSU could have been the 7, there's really no difference after the first round.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Has Wichita State ever tried to get into a better conference? Creighton got into the the Big East. Could the Shockers get into the A-10 if they wanted to?

What stops them from trying. The travel? Changing conferences would create problems with other sports such as baseball?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  11. Jake_Taylor

There were rumors about Wichita State bringing back football and making a play to join the American or Mountain West, but it sounds like the people pushing for that severely underestimated the cost of restarting football.

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

It would be madnesss for Wichita to restart football but I wonder if the current Mountain West membership would let Wichita in as a basketball only member. Mountain West basketball has fallen on hard times and Wichita State might be a step to rebuilding a league that can get more some at-large invitations. It would also strengthen their CBS television package.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    Jake_Taylor likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted