1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2016-17 College Rings Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I'd rather see a team that goes 27-6 get rewarded than a team that goes 19-13 and finishes 10th in a power conference or a team that goes 20-13 and a losing record in a power conference.

dixiehack likes this.
  2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I hope you are sitting down. Seth Davis of Duke and CBS thought that Duke should be a number one seed.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

In its closeup seven days ago on CBS, Illinois State was one of the worst good teams I've ever watched. They should have lost by 37 to Wichita that day.

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

To be honest, there is a really good case for them over North Carolina, and by extent, over Gonzaga since the committee had UNC seeded third. I don't get how UNC is third and Duke is seventh. The gap beween those two isn't big enough for three teams to fit.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's punishing them more than making them a 10 or 11. A 9 has a very small chance of surviving the weekend. Any coach would gladly "drop" to 11.

Donny in his element likes this.
  6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Final 4: Gonzaga over Virginia
    Final 4: UCLA over Kansas

Championship: UCLA 90, Gonzaga 87

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Songbird, that's your own funeral. The Wahoos don't have the firepower to beat Nova and Duke. They may not be healthy enough to beat UNCW.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I make Virginia the most likely 5 to fall on opening afternoon/night

lcjjdnh and Neutral Corner like this.
  9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I agree, Seahawks are a terrible match up for UVa. They press and push the pace. They have guys who were overlooked by ACC teams. The coach is a Virginia native who is essentially auditioning for the Virginia Tech job should Buzz Williams leave.

Buuuuuuutttttt, if UVA can get past the first round I think it's one of the most favorable brackets it could have possibly gotten. Florida has injury problems and hasn't been that impressive against good teams. It's a 1-seed UVA lost to on the road on a buzzer beater tip in. Marquette, South Carolina, eh. I'm sure they'd love another shot at Virginia Tech.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I can't disagree with this analysis, except Virginia's offense is so prone to off nights they can shoot themselves out of any matchup. Actually, this looks like a common theme of the tourney. Many tough first round matchups for teams seeded below 1-2 and then if they make it past them, things look better.

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Sounds like you're betting against URI. After frustrating the hell out of us all season, they save their best for this weekend and come in on an eight-game winning streak. Underrated game with Creighton Friday.

Kingston's first NCAA trip since '99...the hero of that team became a Kardashian toy.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I loved that team with Odom, Mobley and Wheeler. One of my all-time favorite random one-off tourney teams.

lcjjdnh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted