1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Designers wanted for Austin, Texas

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by John Cox, Feb 27, 2017.

1. John Cox

John Cox New Member

The biggest, the best. That is what the Center for News & Design is striving to be.

So what is a place like this, you may ask yourself. Well, that's a good question. GateHouse Media is a publication company that owns over 600 publications across the country. Our Center for News & Design, which is a part of GateHouse, designs for about 245 weekly and daily publications. We the biggest (in terms of publications that are designed here [245], staffing [more than 200 designers], and pages per week [11,000]) and we're quickly becoming the best.

We've only been around since 2014 so it's a bit much to boast. But we do have some things to brag about for our people:
    • Promotions, career advancement
    • Pay for referrals
    • Creative environment
    • Leadership training and development
    • Monthly team building activities and social events
    • Ping pong
    • Food trucks

The Sports Desk will feature like-minded individuals with a passion for visual journalism and sports coverage on local, regional and national sporting events throughout the country. This position requires at least 3+ years of professional experience. Design clips or links to online portfolios are required from all applicants.

The sport page designer’s duties include:
    • Using page-design software and centralized front-end system to lay out a steady stream of pages from beginning to end
    • Comfortable with the flow of designing a sports section on deadline, knowing upsets and breaking news can alter priorities in a flash.
    • Able to read, understand and design agate pages; comfortable formatting and updating box scores and standings.
    • Familiar with the sports industry, able to understand which events are important enough to warrant heavier coverage than others.
    • Offering and executing creative solutions to content presentation
    • Providing a final read of all copy submitted for a variety of publications produced by the desks
    The designer/copy editor must:
    • Have a dual skill set in both newspaper design and copy editing
    • Be a true multitasker, able to handle curveballs on hard deadlines
    • Be a true team player, able to interact proactively and productively with dozens of colleagues while helping to build team morale
    • Be able to generate and implement creative ideas swiftly
    • Have proven line-editing skills and be versed in AP style
    • Have experience with layout software, preferably Adobe InDesign
    • Have experience with digital publishing
    Could you handle living in Big 12 country? If so, APPLY HERE

2. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

I had thought about this place before. My problem became my bitterness about what happened to me at my stop in Daytona. What worries me about this would be a sweatshop mentality. The only reason I would ever consider this place is they design my hometown newspaper. Not suggesting ever to stay far away from this. I think it's good for young persons coming out of school. But someone who would know who is in the know probably knows better than I though.

3. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Pay me enough, I will work in a sweatshop.

4. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

That I think is the part of the problem.

5. bevo

bevo Member

May want to think about commuting from Temple or Killeen for what they pay.

6. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

What do they pay? Mid 20s?

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

There's are good reasons why places are considered sweatshops and it usually starts with pay, quickly followed by little regard for employees' well being and/or work-life balance.

Waldo9939 likes this.
  8. bevo

bevo Member

Couple of years ago it was $13 hr for newbies, up to around $40,000 yr for team leads.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

From what I hear, Austin ain't a cheap place to live anymore. And traffic sucks because half the country has moved there. Good luck living on $28,000 unless you have eight roommates.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I lived on $28,000 with no roommates.

In 1986.

11. bevo

bevo Member

I lived on $330 a week in 1998 with no roommate. And Austin was an expensive place with awful traffic 15 years ago. Can't imagine how bad it is now.

Draft saved Draft deleted