1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can I use answers to questions asked by other interviewers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jasonjones, Feb 15, 2017.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If I may ask, why a Q&A? As the saying goes, that's stenography, not journalism.

2. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

It always seems to bug me when someone says "(player) told me" when referring to an answer from a press conference. To me, that indicates 1-on-1 exclusivity, not just getting an answer at a press conference (this doesn't refer to anything in print, but rather more what I read from time to time on Twitter)

3. jasonjones

jasonjones New Member

Mainly due to time constraint. I work part time, and got 14 drafts that need to go out this week, my son is complaining about not having seen Lego Batman yet and the wife is starting a new job. Its an unusually crazy month.

I completely agree it's not a good strategy, so it might not end up that way. But the draft/transcript I started with made me think of things I've not thought of before, cause I've not been in such situation.

4. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Time constraints are a part of the business. In many cases you need to interview, transcribe and write quickly in journalism. You don't have two days to turn around a story; your publication will want your story as soon as possible unless it's a deep investigative story or an extended feature.

I'm sympathetic to the real world intervening. But whether you're an education reporter covering a council meeting or an NFL reporter at the Super Bowl, time is always of the essence.

studthug12 likes this.
  5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Make sure you say you had an exclusive interview like a TV guy did once when it was just me and him interviewing Jerry Stackhouse. He held his camera and microphone; I asked all the questions.

6. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

If you are really shrewd, you'll call people who weren't at the group interview and imply that various questions were asked. They will assume those questions were asked, and you might get some juicy tidbits.

Happy fishing!

7. Old Time Hockey

Old Time Hockey Active Member

If it wasn't OK to use the answers to other people's questions, there are some reporters out there who would not have a career.

Doc Holliday and Batman like this.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It always drives me nuts when people sit there stone silent at a press conference or on a conference call. What the hell did you come there for if you're not going to ask anything?

studthug12, Doc Holliday and Ace like this.
  9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

On a Q&A type article, I don't think it's necessary to credit the questions unless there is some reason to point out that local columnist John Doe asked some of the questions and the athlete responds -- maybe there is back story on other stuff he has written or some tension.

Otherwise, I take editing liberties with Q&As. You can say the athlete sat down with you and other reporters to answer questions about the coming season and his return from injury or whatever.

But don't dump your tape recordier and go through all questions and answers in order.

Start with good ones. Leave out bad ones. Trim answers if he starts to ramble.

Unless you are crediting the reporters asking the questions, I would trim those way back to what you need to set up the answers.

Leave out the boring stuff.

Good luck.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sometimes they are good for quick hit things. Generally not the main course.

11. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

I've considered using a Q/A when there's too much good content from the interview to fit in a regular story.

Interesting though, OP is going with Q/A for time's sake. Depending on how many questions and how long the answers were, I think transcribing a Q/A might actually take longer to type up.

12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Maybe somebody already asked the question they were going to ask.

I don't know why this would bother you. Who cares?

I'd rather have someone sitting there doing nothing than someone asking a stupid question just because they feel obligated to ask one.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted