1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

how hard is it to quit social media?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CD Boogie, Jan 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I just quit social media a week and a half ago. Closed Facebook, shuttered twitter and instagram. Miss it to a degree, twitter especially, as a news source. But the election really burned me out and I got tired of people's posts on both sides on Facebook. Wondering what effect if any it will have. I know it will. Like two years ago a friends brother in law committed suicide and I was in a social media timeout and damn near missed the funeral. It's how people communicate damn near everything nowadays but that's part of what annoys me.

And then there's the time suck. My gf thinks I'll go back. Ran into a friend and he thought i defriended him bc he tried to tag me for an NFL post and I was gone. I wasn't gonna be one of those People who announced their departures as if begging people to say no, please stay! Wanking motion.

Still, interested to know how people have fared stepping away and what effects it has. I don't work in media anymore, though I do freelance, so they might impact my return bc editors don't like people who can't or won't fuck the share football. We will see. Now that football season is basically over, I'm in a fallow period anyway.

Thoughts?

2. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Since I quit my job (as sports editor), I haven't spent any time on Twitter at all. I haven't totally deleted it, but I don't check it hourly like I did when I was working. I really only open it up when I get an alert or something. And even then, I've gone a couple of days with active alerts without opening.

I can't give up Facebook. I swore around election time that I would, but it's my line of communication with my family members back home and my friends. I also use it for my side hustle, and probably 90% of my business comes from that Facebook page.

I don't miss Twitter honestly. And I wish I could quit Facebook. What I've found, though, is that I've unfriended/unfollowed enough people to make my timeline a little more tolerable. But now it's starting to swing in the opposite direction (politically), which is just as annoying.

3. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

I needed some of those fruit-filled Archway cookies today. But they were not at the location I tried.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Who the hell eats fruit-filled cookies?

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I like the girl scout ones with the jam in the middle.

6. Songbird

Fruit-filled cookie? Go eat a hamentashen.

SnarkShark likes this.
  7. Jake_Taylor

How do we classify oatmeal raisin?

8. Songbird

As a waste of raisins.

SnarkShark likes this.
  9. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Heathens.

10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Abomination.

Songbird likes this.
  11. Jake_Taylor

At least nobody has mentioned Newtons, which are wonderful, but not a cookie. They're fruit and cake.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'm not on Twitter or any of the other sites - just Facebook. And even that I'm actually "on" once a week or so. I deactivated my account over the summer. Came back about three months ago but am ready to leave again.

It's so predictable that I could recite my "newsfeed" before I read it and still get it 95 percent right.

Draft saved Draft deleted