1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Basketball Writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by HERO Sports, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Based on your writing on this site, I don't think you qualify, even for this.

3. Sports Barf

Fuck you, you write for a blog called Rant Sports LOL

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

No I don't

Your shtick sucks. Get better.

RonClements likes this.
  5. Sports Barf

Wow what a great RANT. Are all of your rants on Rant Sports this bad?

6. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Don't know much about HERO other than what Brian writes on FCS, but can confirm he does a very good job.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all of The Sports Network's content migrated over to HERO under a new name.

8. The more pertinent question that still has not been answered is whether or not this is a paid position. And if so, what does it pay?

9. TurnTwo2

TurnTwo2 Member

Based on the listing on their website, it does not appear to be a paid position.

10. Nathan Foutnier

Nathan Foutnier New Member

Not sure about this position but I applied for another position with them (which I didn't take). The position I applied for was freelance work. I believe they were offering 40-50 dollars per story. They wanted me to write four stories a week, but I just didn't have the time to commit to the position.

11. BrianFMcLaughlin

BrianFMcLaughlin New Member

Sorry gang, I was in Frisco covering the FCS national title for HERO Sports and am just now getting my wits back. The three of us did a tremendous amount of video, podcast and publishing while there and we're pretty stoked about how it went. We have a great working relationship with both schools (James Madison and Youngstown) and were able to produce quite a bit, much of it exclusive work, both in the weeks leading up and while in Frisco for 3 days. We also covered the awards banquet on Friday night and had some nice work with Jerry Rice going on for a segment with the freshman of the year award (named after Jerry), A.J. Hines of Duquesne.

It was great experience, we learned a ton and these kinds of events will be something our site will build on. And yes, that could you be you helping build our site and brand if you have the kind of upbeat, go-getter style our staff possesses.

And yes, I do get paid. It is my primary contract by a mile. And no, nobody's content drifted over to us. We started from scratch just a couple of years ago and the traffic is booming. We anticipate 2017 being a massive year for growth. The NCAA now recognizes our national poll as one of the three "biggies", along with our all-american team package we released in December.

Like I said, this is certainly something to look into if you want to be a part of building something special. I'm stoked to be with them. We have positions with hoops, football, etc. Check it out and see if you fit!

12. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Brian's one of the good guys. If he's working for these guys, it is worth a look.

playthrough likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted