1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What? No College FB Championship Thread?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Jan 8, 2017.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Chad Johnson had a D-Day Lewis GPA at Oregon State.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's what I was going to say. He and Houshmandzedah, both, I think. I was hesitant because I thought it might have just been Notre Dame fans whining. The rumor is that neither attended a class in Corvallis. Like, never set foot in a classroom.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yep. Eligibility rules were different then. Would have had winter term to raise that to a 2.0 before being on academic probation, had he stayed. Same thing as Corey Dillon, the Washington RB who stayed for one semester and never attended a class.

4. micropolitan guy

TJ was in school for 1999-2000 and for 1999-2000, after graduating from Cerritos JC. He attended class, eventually completed his degree I believe, wrote a column for his college-town newspaper while playing for the Bengals, is a very intelligent individual who was an outstanding interview, and is now an assistant coach at Long Beach Poly after spending a season as an intern coach with the Bengals.

You should never lump him in with a knucklehead like Chad Johnson. Johnson would not have an NFL career if not for TJ, who told him the plays in the huddle because Johnson could not understand Erickson's playbook.

5. Dick Whitman

So Notre Dame fans whining then. As I suspected.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I believe Texas Tech running back Byron Hanspard, who won the Doak Walker Award, also pulled a 0.0 his last semester.

And different sport, but Mississippi State basketball player Dontae Jones not only never went back to class after the 1996 Final Four, he never went back to Starkville.

He was a first-round draft pick of the New York Knicks, and was later referred to by Bob Ryan as "one of the all-time airheads."

7. Dick Whitman

Mrs. Whitman will, every so often, complain about the semester that her sorority did not get best grades on campus - the only blemish in her eight semesters - because a second-semester freshman pulled a 0.0. Mrs. Whitman doesn't know, nor will she ever, that the culprit was spending some of her would-be study time visiting my room in the wee hours. I suspect she was visiting a lot of rooms.

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. micropolitan guy

So Notre Dame fans whining then. As I suspected.

Yes. Most everyone on the Fiesta Bowl team graduated and many earned post-graduate degrees.

9. Dick Whitman

Still couldn't get into Notre Dame, though.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They're no Ricky Watterses.

11. micropolitan guy

Still couldn't get into Notre Dame, though

A lot of people can't. Most don't bother to try. Even more have no desire to. Yet somehow they survive and flourish and have successful lives.

And Matt LoVecchio and Bob Davie still have nightmares about how badly they were abused in that Fiesta Bowl, a feeling not uncommon for Irish players in BCS games.

12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

College basketball devoured itself a long time ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted