1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

From the "What the hell?" newsroom........

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Dec 16, 2016.

1. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

Eh? Does not compute.

2. MUTigers

MUTigers Member

And an album title:
    Pete Townshend's "All The Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes"

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

There was an article maybe a year ago about how classic rock radio varies a lot by region. In San Antonio they play more Motley Crue than anything. NYC and NJ are heavy on Springsteen and Billy Joel. LA stations love Pearl Jam and in Boston they play more Allman Brothers than almost anywhere else.

4. Jake_Taylor

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

When I was undergrad outside Pittsburgh in late 1980s, a friend and I noticed a difference.
    We were both from outside Philly, where you hear a lot of Stones, for example, on classic rock radio, but Pittsburgh radio at the time played more Skynyrd.

I guess what I'm really saying is Motley Crue and the Scorpions suck, and I've heard more Squier in the past four-five weeks than I ever heard or wanted to hear when I was in middle school.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Everyone is subscribing to the BOB "format"....the "format" being there isn't one.

I think it cheapens the product. Great from an advertising standpoint. Little to no tune-out factor because you never know what you're going to hear next.
    Great from a PD standpoint.......you just have a rack and go. Never been a fan of it though.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Most of time I'm listening to sports talk or playlist or podcast, so minor effect on me.
    I get maybe 20-30 minutes of regular radio music format in a month.
    Still bugs me.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

That goes out the window if you play Billy Squier more than about once every three days.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Fair point.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

But do radio stations rely at all on the institutional knowledge of their DJs to decide what to play? Nope. The role of the song-picking DJ is dead. “I know there are some stations and some companies where if you change a song it’s a fireable offense,” Wellman said, cavalierly ruining the magic.

End of days, man. End of days.

11. Jake_Taylor

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Terrestrial music radio in general is dreck. No matter the format, it's the same 20 songs in heavy rotation with about another 30 or so mixed in. Some of them may be songs you liked at one time, but you're tired of listening to them by now. I stick to talk radio, which sadly isn't much better.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted