1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brownsville Herald Seeks Full-Time Sports Reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Joe Alberico, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Joe Alberico

Joe Alberico New Member

The Brownsville Herald — a daily newspaper in Texas’ Rio Grande Valley — is seeking a full-time sports reporter.

The ideal candidate is a highly motivated, competent reporter who is well-organized, loves the job and hates being beaten by the competition. This position will include high school coverage, the handling of sports beats, feature and editorial writing and desk work.

The Brownsville-Los Fresnos-Port Isabel area loves its sports, mainly of the high school, boxing and soccer varieties. High school sports are covered extensively, and the paper is part of the high school sports website RGVSports.com along with our sister papers, The Valley Morning Star and The Monitor. The Herald also produces a multi-page high school football special section in the fall.

The successful candidate will join a small but hard-working and dedicated staff that currently includes a sports editor, one full-time reporter and one part-time reporter.

The Herald offers its employees a competitive salary and benefits. Fluency in Spanish is a plus but is not required, along with experience with page design (InDesign). Familiarity with photography and videography could also be of benefit as well.

Interested candidates can email a cover letter, resume and work samples to Herald Sports Editor Joe Alberico at Joe@brownsvilleherald.com. You can also mail your information to Sports Editor Joe Alberico at The Brownsville Herald, 1135 E. Van Buren, Brownsville, TX 78520. For more information, call (956) 982-6624.

The Herald is an Equal Opportunity employer. Non-U.S. citizens wishing to apply for a position must already be in possession of a valid work visa and other appropriate documentation.

2. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

I applied for this position a few weeks ago, haven't heard anything from them about it though.

Anyone know about that area?

3. eclapt44

eclapt44 Member

I usually research areas before I apply for an out-of-market job.

RonClements likes this.
  4. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

Thanks for that contribution eclapt, what would I have done without it. Let me clarify: Is there anyone who has lived/worked in the area that knows about it?

5. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I worked for a sister paper of the Herald's and covered stuff in Brownsville every now and then.

Brownsville is very hot and about 99 percent hispanic. There's not much outside of high school sports, and Brownsville is only really competitive in soccer (it's won state championships within the last few years). Boxing is kind of big in the area, but the events aren't prominent. South Padre Island is about 20 minutes away, but the closest big city is McAllen, which is about an hour away. You're 3 1/2 hours from San Antonio and about 6 from Houston.

There's been a consistent amount of movement within the staff the last few years. It's a good shop if you're young, looking to get some good clips and then leave. They recently hired a new sports editor who seems promising with good ideas. He's creative and ambitious.

Hope this helps.

MiamiBoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted