1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HDTV antennas?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Thinking of getting an HDTV antenna. Prolly an indoor one.

My sister got one on Amazon for $40 and said they got a few more channels. I am currently getting no channels on the downstairs TV. I can get 0-3 channels on the TV upstairs, depending on the weather.
    Thoughts? Experiences?

The one I am considering ...
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QK7HI8/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I have one mounted on a fence outside in case the power goes out for an extended period of time (we have a generator and Comcast). If you can go outside, go outside. There should be a website or app that will tell you which direction to point it.

3. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I've got a $20 RCA antennae I got from Best Buy. It's indoors, and I have to mount it to an exterior wall, but it picks up the major local channels (ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC). If I didn't rent a house, I'd mount an exterior because I sometimes lose ABC. The local has a pretty weak signal for whatever reason.

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Reviving this thread three years later. Cable bill came, and it's $180 with cable and internet. Nope. Done. Don't watch TV enough to justify that, and we have Hulu, HBO Go and Netflix passwords. Anyone have an INDOOR antenna? Don't want anything on the outside of the house. Think it looks a bit unsightly. Don't need a ton of channels. The basics, really, will get me by.

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I've got a $19 job from Radio Shack. image.jpg It can be a little temperamental. Still, from my condo in downtown Cincy, I get ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox stations. All have ancillary channels like Laugh, MeTV, This (Old movies), Heroes (NYPD Blue, Trek series, etc.) I get four PBS channels from Dayton, three from local, and a handful of independent stations. It's all more than enough for me.

FWIW, I've read that paying more than $30 for an antenna is throwing money away. A decent econo option like mine is not VASTLY inferior to $50 models out there...

6. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Good to know. Spotted one on Best Buy for $50 that had really good reviews. And the channels you mentioned are really the only ones needed.

Killick likes this.
  7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

MeTV is SPECTACULAR

8. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Also, dumb question, but we have two TVs, one upstairs and one downstairs. If I get one of these antennas, it will work on both, right? Or do you have to physically hook it up to a TV?

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

You hook it physically to the TV.

I have the RCA wall-mount, but I can't mount it to the wall because it has to be in a different place for each of my local channels. I've moved it four times so far during tonight's game. But small price to pay for not paying for cable.

10. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

OK good to know ... if they are really just $20 bucks, that's not too bad at all. I looked it up, and I'm within 35 miles of at least three towers.

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I like Laugh, which shows old sitcoms (Spin City, Night Court, etc.) and comedic films. I also have been checking out the old Match Game on Buzzer, which does nothing but game shows. They tiptoed right up to the edge of being dirty, then veered at the very last second...

SpeedTchr likes this.
  12. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I'd like to put up an antenna. I'm considering dumping DirecTV and going with Hulu or Sling. I won't get a lot of channels as the PBS station is the only one here with sub-channels but it would be nice to drop have an extra $80-100 in my pocket every month instead of wrapped up in channels I don't have time to watch.

Draft saved Draft deleted