1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm ok with "we shouldn't involve the insurance companies."

I'm not ok with "it should never be the governments job to help anybody because private charity 4 life and only after you've been squeezed for every last cent."

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

They aren't running a charity.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

No moral obligation to cover pre-existing conditions?

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Of course not. Welcome to Trump's America.

[​IMG]

TowelWaver and Smallpotatoes like this.
  5. Smallpotatoes

Exactly, their point of view should not matter.

6. Dick Whitman

They would go out of business in a week. What good does that do anyone?

7. Smallpotatoes

So how would you handle it?

8. Dick Whitman

That's what the mandate is for.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  9. Dick Whitman

Without the mandate, no one would enroll until they were sick.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I got to talking about this with my Trumper friend, who works in construction bonds. He says in that industry, there's a high-risk pool and every company has to take a piece of it and mix it into their own pools somehow. I don't know if it's law or accepted industry practice, but that at least has some possibility as the framework.

12. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Non sequitur post: This has turned into the place I go to when I want to read what the grownups have to say about the election because social media has turned into a massive tantrum. It wears me out to try to read it when all I want to do is see everyone's travel pictures, read the latest brags about whose kid has done what, and look at the occasional cute animal picture.

For what it's worth, I canvassed for two different Democratic organizations this Fall and talked to friends who were voting for Trump or voting third party. When I had time to really discuss the election with the people I contacted, many of them had fairly complex reasons for their choices. If they were already sure of who they were voting for, I didn't change their minds and they didn't change mine. (At best, I hope I convinced some people to not stay home on election day and got a few souls to volunteer.)

It's been hard to take how easy it is for some to dismiss the opposition. The classism from my side of the aisle is ugly. Democrats could have countered much of Trump's fear mongering with answers to the concerns of voters in flyover country. If they had really gone high, Clinton's margin would have been bigger. I'm still angry that they were more concerned with being right than doing the right thing.

I'm gonna miss reading this thread.

Note to YankeeFan: We haven't interacted much, so I hope I'm not out of line in wishing y'all will see a miracle or something close to it.

And now back to my regularly scheduled grouchiness.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
    TowelWaver, Ace, FileNotFound and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.