1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2016-17 College Rings Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Nov 10, 2016.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Only one matchup of Top 25 teams for opening weekend, Michigan State and Arizona tomorrow night. Which, fine I guess. Why does college basketball have to have so many generic top teams that always play each other and generate no emotion from me? I'm trying to do a cleanse from That Thing That Happened This Week and this is the best you've got for me college basketball? Really? I'm so desperate I went crawling through Facebook hoping for pet pictures and goofy kid stories and posts encouraging me to do work-at-home scams and now there's nothing and this sport feels like nothing and oh God why does everything feel dead inside make it stop ...

So anyway, welcome back.

Donny in his element likes this.
  2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

There's two Top-12 games tomorrow night. Kansas and Indiana are the second game of the doubleheader in Hawaii. KU opens the season with games against IU and Duke.

Prediction: Virginia's Kyle Guy will will be the second most hated player in the ACC behind Grayson Allen, almost entirely because of his stupid man bun.

3. dixiehack

Ok missed that one while scrolling through the CBS app. Yep, there it is, right next to Creighton-UMKC. OK, that's something, although I don't get worked up about either of those teams either post-Knight (Oh God, he's going to get a Cabinet post isn't he?) Maybe I can hate-watch KU if they steal Collin Sexton from Bama tonight.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

POY

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Nice Ted Cruz homage.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

As a Kansas fan, I'm pretty eager to see what Josh Jackson can do. I've heard him described as an Andrew Wiggins-level talent with Rex Walters' competitiveness, which sounds like a good combination to me.

According to ESPN'S metrics, the ACC is going to be by far the toughest and deepest league in the country, but I'm a bit skeptical. I think Virginia Tech could be decent, but some people are going a but bonkers with the expectations. Clemson is a one-man show, BC and GT are still terrible, no matter how talented NC State is, Gottfried is still coaching.

The ACC is really good at the top, but the people ranking strength of schedule at this point may be forgetting there are some really easy games in the league.

7. dixiehack

Derek Willis looks like a completely different player for Kentucky, but the rest of the Cats may or may not be able to hit water from the beach. Bam Adebalo with two fouls in under a minute.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Again, I often rip ESPN for some of their shit programming......but this 24 hour hoops marathon is very cool......why in the world would i be up watching UWGB-Pacific at this hour?.....

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

UConn women beat Florida State 78-76 in the opener. It's the first time in their 76-game winning streak that they have won by single digits.

Big things are afoot in the parity of the women's game!

studthug12 likes this.
  10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I don't understand the term "college rings" for basketball. When did that come around?

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

12. dixiehack

God if Alabama could put the ball in the ring even a little they could be something to reckon with.

Draft saved Draft deleted