1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gawker.com go bye-bye

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wicked, Aug 18, 2016.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Yes, the repressed irresponsible "journalists" deserve our support.

Thiel is a nut job. (And not the only one getting cash in this, by the way.) Gawker should've been taken to the cleaners. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Why should Gawker have been "taken to the cleaners"? They posted something to a website. It wasn't libelous. They didn't slander anyone. They didn't break any law to obtain the video that was at the heart of the matter.

The thing they did do. .... they were snarky assholes, and they pissed off a number of people over the years by being dicks.

If that is the criteria for shutting down websites or publications and bankrupting them via dubious legal action that is bankrolled by a whack job with unlimited resources. ... don't be surprised if the next super rich nut job with a stick up his or her ass decides to shut down a publication that you personally find less objectionable.

I just don't get why this is a barn door people are so happy to open.

lcjjdnh, Mr. Mediocre and Big Circus like this.
  3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Because most people see it as a perfect storm that won't be repeated, so fuck Gawker and the horse they rode in on.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

You're probably right. Billionaires never attempt to take advantage of favorable legal precedent.

5. CD Boogie

I'll weep for the trampling of our Constitution when the next such incident takes place. Which will be never.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Yep.

7. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Hopefully not.

8. Mr. Mediocre

Mr. Mediocre Member

Something that amazes me about this case is how little effort was seeming put into finding the source of the leak. The $30 million beneficiary is a huckster whose done all he can to stay in the spotlight, and has a track record of being full of shit. The tape was filmed at the home and with the wife of an attention-starved shock-jock with a long track record of being full of shit. The leak itself doesn't pass the smell test.

This precedent scares the hell out of me. Thiel's NYT op-ed was ominous. He writes journalists have "nothing to fear" from him, but he clearly believes himself arbiter of the 1st Amendment. Don't misconstrue this as a defense of A.J. Daulerio's editorial judgment (or lack thereof). I'm fearful of people with God complexes and unlimited resources being able to spam critical outlets with suits until something sticks.

9. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Nick Denton, Peter Thiel, and the Plot to Murder Gawker

10. CD Boogie

That was an interesting read. Found it particularly satisfying how many times Denton tucked his tail bt his legs and tried to reach out to Thiel to try and assuage him, all for not. Outing guys because you think it's your duty? What kind of fucked up shit is that? They got everything they had coming to them and then some. Typical quote from Craggs: "Nick Denton was the best boss I ever had. Oh, and fuck Nick Denton." So hip.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for that link. I may have missed that story. The one thing I have never gotten from having seen Denton interviewed with his smiley pumpkin head as this went on, is how detached he publicly remains from it. It's like he is determined to make you believe he has a begrudging respect for Thiel and the take down he pulled off. If it was me, I'd have been reduced to taking a golf club to Thiel's windshield and having pizza delivery guys show up at his home during the middle of the night. The two of them are just alien to me.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted