1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Smoking, need ideas to kick it before I get really hooked

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bradley Guire, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I'm having my spine fused soon. I'm as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs. So fuck it, I'm living it up with smoke and drink. Then it's straight edge for me, whether I want it or not.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Living longer has not really been the impetus in this current attempt to quit. I'm in no hurry to die, of course. I'd at least like to last long enough for my kids to be old enough to handle my death.
    Another 20 years would be fine, anything after that is gravy.

My reasons for quitting this time still pretty common, though.
    • Although, I had become a very light smoker, smoking itself has become so publicly loathed that I felt very self-conscious about being seen smoking or possibly having any lingering smell noticed in my work and business dealings.
    • I don't care much about living longer, but I want to feel better while I'm alive.
    • I had children last year, and children who have a parent who smokes are twice as likely to become smokers. I'm attempting to model some good behaviors for the children. Good, healthy behaviors do not come naturally to me, but I'm trying.
    • We needed to cut household expenses, and even two packs a month add up by end of year.

gingerbread likes this.
  3. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

All are excellent reasons @Buck. I find the point about being self-conscious especially interesting. I've never even held a cigarette but try to be tolerant about personal choices. But the other night I was in a Verizon store and needed to talk in person with someone from customer service. After waiting 40 minutes, a guy just off a cig break came to help me. He absolutely reeked. Within seconds my eyes were watering and whatever he said got lost in my desire to flee far away. I should have been more forceful and asked to speak to someone else, but didn't want to embarrass him. I'm mad at myself for not doing this because eventually I had to leave, without getting my phone fixed, all because this sales rep smelled so badly of cigarettes it was unbearable, and I didn't have the guts to point it out.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I had been a very light smoker for a long time, and I would really notice when interacting with a heavy smoker.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Every time I interact with a smoker now, I take a moment to remind myself that I used to smell that disgusting, too. All the time.

And then I tell my wife how lucky I am that she put up with that disgustingness for as long as she did.

exmediahack likes this.
  6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm midway through day 66, but this morning has been a big test.
    We had to have our roof repaired earlier this year, and it has been a nightmare.
    Months later, we are entering fall/winter, which is when it rains here. We had a brief but strong downpour at 5 a.m. this morning, and it's leaking still.
    One of first thoughts was 'I need a f#cking smoke.'

I didn't smoke. I had none in the house or else I would have.
    I've since gotten over the initial urge and simply have to not buy a pack of cigarettes, and stay clear of any other people at work who smoke so I don't bum one.

cjericho likes this.
  7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Still have not slipped up.
    Went out for a couple beers with a friend Friday. Mostly non-smokers, but there was one guy with us who smokes.
    I did not bum a smoke off him. Wasn't even really very tempted.

I am midway through day 79.
    I've saves about $238, according to the app, and my circulation has improved by more than 50%.

FileNotFound and amraeder like this.
  8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I was driving through a neighborhood this morning about 7 a.m.
    I guy was in his front yard - ball cap, sweat pants, zoriis, clearly unshowered.
    He was watering some plants with a hose and smoking a cigarette.
    And I thought: I wish that was me right now.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No, you don't. He's sucking down poison and you are not. You are improving your health simply by not doing what he is doing.

Keep it up, Buck. You know you want to quit. Maybe you just need the occasional reminder.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I'm interested in starting if anybody has some pointers.

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Buck -- you still going strong? You can do this.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Still going, but prone to the occasional thought and/or mild craving.
    I have not caved.

Draft saved Draft deleted