1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

My one word thoughts........

Tupac Shakur-no
    Pearl Jam-DUH
    Journey-yes
    Depeche Mode-no
    Jane's Addiction-stop
    ELO-e l NO
    Joan Baez-nyet
    Bad Brains-who
    Steppenwolf-no
    The Cars-yes
    Chaka Khan-no
    Chic-who
    J. Geils Band-no
    Yes-Yes
    The Zombies-Yes
    Janet Jackson-no

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Yes should already be in.
    I guess one could make an argument for Journey. I wouldn't make that argument, but someone probably could.

I think we're at the point at which the inductions-every-year schedule is no longer merited.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is quickly becoming the Hall of Pretty Good.

4. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Maybe they should replace "Rock and Roll" with "Music."

As iconic as Tupac Shakur is to rap, what does he have to do with rock and roll? I know they've inducted other rap acts like NWA, but still, there's no link to rock there.

And let me continue to make a point -- the fact that Weird Al is not even nominated for the hall of fame (he has been eligible for more than 10 years) is ludicrous. The man has been going strong for nearly FORTY years, outlasting almost everybody he's parodied.

Batman likes this.
  5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

His parody albums have crossed over into damn near every genre, too. The man is an insanely talented musician, not just a comedian who can play a little.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My votes, more or less:

Tupac Shakur -- I dunno. Not a rap guy, so not qualified to say.
    Pearl Jam -- Yes. Easy one.
    Journey -- No. HELL no.
    Depeche Mode -- Yes, but this nomination should have gone to Joy Division/New Order.
    Jane's Addiction -- No. Not even sure what they're doing here.
    ELO -- Eh. No, but whatever.
    Joan Baez -- Kind of an important cultural figure, but musically largely forgotten. I'd say no, but it wouldn't surprise me if she got in.
    Bad Brains -- No. Even people who talk about how important Bad Brains is haven't listened to Bad Brains.
    Steppenwolf -- No.
    The Cars -- Eh. No? I don't care.
    Chaka Khan -- Maybe. Whatever.
    Chic -- Yes, I guess. Nile Rodgers should be in, so might as well do it this way.
    J. Geils Band -- No. Good band though. Fine with me if they go in, but really, they were like America's Opening Act for most of their career.
    Yes -- I swear, I thought they went in last year. Yes, I guess? I don't give a shit. Prog. Blecch.
    The Zombies -- Yes. Should already be in based solely on "Odessey and Oracle."
    Janet Jackson -- Eh. I so totally don't care. Yes, I guess? Whatever.

I'm usually a defender of the Rock Hall on these threads -- for all the complaints, they usually get it more or less right -- but Jesus Christ, what a dogshit list of nominees. The Smiths dropped off the nominee list? I would vote for The Smiths, The Cure, Motorhead, New Order/Joy Division, Dick Dale, Link Wray, and probably a half-dozen other acts before I would vote for 14 of this year's 16 nominees.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Wait, is it Joy Division/New Order or New Order/Joy Division? I'm so very confused.

8. PCLoadLetter

Totally, totally disagree. (And again, I'm not a rap guy at all.)

At some point in the 70s, FM radio programmers started segregating the airwaves and gave us this notion that "rock and roll" meant white dudes playing guitars, bass and drums. It's bullshit. Rap acts are straight descendants from rock pioneers -- most notably James Brown. It absolutely fits in the rock hall, which has always had a relatively "big tent" approach. Country and jazz greats are in, too, and they should be.

Oh, HELL no. I have no problem with Weird Al. He's very good at what he does. But, what he does it make up silly words for someone else's song. There is absolutely no way in hell Weird Al should garner any level of consideration for the hall. Comedy hall? Sure.

9. PCLoadLetter

Take your pick. Chronologically, Joy Division/New Order.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Pearl Jam is easily the no-brainer of the bunch.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Yes is the biggest no-brainer.
    Pearl Jam is like Journey. There's probably an argument to be made, but I'm not going to make it.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Pearl Jam is the toe shoes of 'rock' music. I do not understand the appeal or purpose at all:

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted