1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016-17 NHL season running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Blues-Hawks highlights opening night on Wednesday.

Us Caps fans, of course, get to watch the Penguins raise their Stanley Cup banner on Thursday night to start things off.

I'm starting my playoff beard on Thursday and not cutting it until the Caps' inevitable six-game loss to the Penguins in May.

Glad real puck is back, though.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I am looking forward to this season a great deal. I think my Rangers are flawed, but they should still be fun to watch. Mika Zibanejad looked great in preseason, and I was really impressed by Pavel Buchnevich. I think they may have a winner line with those two and Chris Kreider. In general, they got younger and faster, and if things work as planned, they should score some goals. They have three solid lines and they have a lot of ways to go with a fourth line from penalty killers / role players to an actual skilled fourth line with speed. I think the problem will be the defense. They shed Dan Boyle, but they also lost Keith Yandle and I think his ability to start the offense would be a great asset with a team like this. I really liked him. They are still stuck with Dan Girardi at a huge salary (love him, but it isn't pretty at this point) and Marc Staal going downhill fast, and other than McDonagh, their defense is blah. I don't care how good Lundqvist is. There are going to be at least 3 or 4 mistakes a night that put him under point-blank pressure. The question for them will be whether they can outscore their mistakes. Oh, and our long national nightmare is over. ... With the bounty of forwards they had in camp, Tanner Glass was cut (it shouldn't have been a question, but he has photos of Alain Vigneault or something). Too bad he cleared waivers (ridiculous salary), so he will be sitting in Hartford for when Vigneault is ready to lose his mind again and calls him up to play him over 3 better options.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I don't watch preseason hockey (or really another other preseason sports) as a rule, but the reports from Caps camp suggest Lars Eller will be a very nice fit at 3C. They also love this Zach Sanford kid, and he made the opening night roster thanks to a strong camp. Really counting on a big bounceback year from Orlov because I think Orpik will continue to slip/be hurt/make stupid decisions. Orlov had some bad moments in the playoffs, but if he learns from them, he still has plenty of potential.

Settling in for a fun Metro race ... Caps, Pens and Rangers should all be in the mix, with the Caps and Pens a step ahead for the reasons you brought up, Ragu, re: NYR defense.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

NHL has the best preseason extant. Training camp opens. Players hit ice and skate in a circle. Then it's on the bus for Monckton, Providence, Springfield, etc. for games no one pays attention to. Then it's drop the puck, baby, we're off!

5. The Big Ragu

I am worried that it's not just the Caps and Pens that will be ahead of the Rangers. The conference looks pretty good to me.

For the Metropolitan, the order I am going to predict is:

1) Washington
    2) Pittsburgh
    3) I am not sure how things will play out underneath.

In the Atlantic, I'll go conventional wisdom:

1) Tampa
    2) Montreal
    3) Florida

I think Montreal is going to bounce back big from last year. I think it is a dangerous team.

For the rest: I think it should be between the Rangers, Flyers and Bruins next for the playoff births. The Rangers are not as good as they were say two years ago, but they still should be decent. They are no lock to even make the playoffs, though. And I think Philly and Boston got a little better.

I think Carolina will be pretty bad. I don't think Columbus will be very good, although I saw someone pick them as a surprise team. The Devils don't look very good to me. Neither does Ottawa. Detroit is old and I think their time has finally passed. Toronto may be a bit better, but I am not seeing a playoff team there. The Islanders should be OK, but not significantly better than they have been. They will probably be in the mix, though. I wouldn't be surprised to see Buffalo surprise and take a step up into playoff contention. I think that is an up-and-coming team.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Per the Twitterz, Sidney Crosby has a concussion. No word on how it affects his status for the opener. Would assume they'd exercise caution and hold him out as long as necessary.

7. The Big Ragu

He has had some really bad luck with concussions. I hope there is no long-term damage. Sucks.

8. Crosby's third, known concussion. No timetable for his return.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I can't stand the guy, but I want him on the ice so I can cheer against him. Good for no one when the best overall player in the game isn't playing.

OscarMadison and JC like this.
  10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A doctor for one of the teams I covered years ago had a three strike rule with concussions. You got a third, he would not clear you to return. Ever. Said if the school didn't like it, it could find a new doctor. They kept him around until he retired. He meant it, too. A promising young QB got No. 3 and he said that's it, you're done here.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to the Preds winning one more game in the postseason.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

After awhile it isn't bad luck. Don't you become more susceptible to concussions the more of them you've had?

Draft saved Draft deleted