1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Twitter is eating up my data

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jake_Taylor, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I went over my data limit for the first time ever this month, though I'd been getting closer and closer in recent months.

I checked my phone and Twitter used almost all of it. I haven't really changed any of my habits lately, but it seems like there are more and more videos in my time line that silently play as I scroll through.

I love using Twitter for keeping up with sports and news out of the house, so does anyone have a solution or am I going to have to avoid it unless I can get on wifi?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Unlimited plans. The only way to go

Neutral Corner and SnarkShark like this.
  3. Jake_Taylor

I guess. It had never been an issue before, but I've been on the same plan for years.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Turn off your Show Images. That'll help immensely.

(I go over my data limit every month but it's only $15 extra per 1MB. It's worth it to save on home wifi.)

5. Jake_Taylor

Much obliged.

6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I hate videos on Twitter, on web pages, wherever. I want to read the damn news, not have some ape with a mic blab at me.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm with you...even if I say that while getting off your lawn.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  8. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

In your Settings > Data in the Twitter app, you can turn off autoplay videos.

Autoplay is awful.

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Pretty funny. No sentence is bad when it includes flouncing.

Batman likes this.
  10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Jesus, if twitter is eating up data, what's @YankeeFan paying per month?

dixiehack and YankeeFan like this.
  11. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Maybe try a third party app, Ive been hunting around looking for one since they started showing junk followers "like" instead of just what they RT.

12. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I'd say I'm a fairly heavy Twitter user, probably a 30-60 mins. a day. Over the last month, it's used about 70MBs... hardly a dent in a my 6 GBs per month. Then again, I make darn sure to be on Wifi wherever possible to save my data for when I need it.

EDIT: Whew, I just checked and saw it used 1.6 gigs over Wifi in the last month, way more than I thought. So I see how it can easily eat up data.

Draft saved Draft deleted