1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hotels near MSG

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Human_Paraquat, Oct 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

Hi folks. I'll be covering the Jimmy V Classic at Madison Square Garden in December.

I have very limited familiarity with NYC. Any recommendations on which hotels to stay at near the arena? (Or, does it make more sense to stay near whichever airport I use and just commute in for the game?)

Cost IS a consideration somewhat, but I also don't want a hostel or fleabag place either.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Stayed at the New Yorker on 8th a few times recently and liked it. Steps from MSG.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I have friends who have stayed on the cheap at the Hotel Pennsylvania, across from the Garden. I've also heard reports of bedbugs there, so buyer beware. :)

4. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Hotel Gregory on 35th. Stayed there this past summer. I will admit, it was free (sis-in-law canceled a trip, and gave us the room) so i have no idea what it costs. I also see that it got savaged on Yelp. But i had none of those experiences. It didn't suck.

also try the Ace Hotel on 29th (or 27th)

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I remember them having a bad bedbug problem several years ago.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My brother stayed at the Pennsylvania once and said something along the lines of preferring to stay in a sewer rather than doing that again.

There's a small and clean Holiday Inn Express on 29th that is usually reasonable. December prices usually run high, holidays and all that.

Go to Priceline and click on their deals tab. You can designate a neighborhood, pick your star level and get a good hotel at a good price. Not long before I moved, I got the kids a trip up here for their Christmas gift. Got a four-star hotel in the area near the Garden for 129 a night. Didn't find out the hotel until after I'd paid but they said it was ridiculously nice. Kitano, I think it was called?

Hotels: Find Cheap Hotel Rooms & Discount Hotels | Priceline

Click on express deals. Right now, for Dec. 11 (don't know if that's the exact date), they're showing a four-star in the right area for 99 a night

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Stayed at Hotel Pennsylvania on our wedding night, but that was back in 2004. We got upgraded to a really nice room. My folks stayed there as well, decent room, good cost, nothing spectacular, no bed bugs for them or us. Since then I've had two family members stay there on different visits and they liked it (these are both within past 5 years). Great location, cost was good for them too. Their rooms were pretty plain, older, average. But worked great for them as they spent most of their time wandering around town.

That said, on Trip Advisor it's like 431st out of 477 hotels and the reviews are...not kind. So even though I had a good experience there and family have been fine, I'd think you can find something decently priced that will be -- at least in the eyes of the online reviewing public -- superior. And you won't be anxious in the days leading up to the trip wondering what in the hell awaits.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Don't stay at an airport hotel.

9. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Just look for a Marriott

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Stayed at Hotel Pennsylvania in 2009, which was my last trip to New York. Got a cruddy, small room with no working TV and few plugs for Internet or electronic devices.

The good news was when I told them, they gave me another room that was the largest I'd had in New York. Spacious bathroom, room to move around... all told, very good. I'd recommend the property.

ChrisLong likes this.
  11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Dyno likes this.
  12. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted