1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Richmond (Va.) Times-Dispatch part-time sports producer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mike Szvetitz, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Mike Szvetitz

Mike Szvetitz Member

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Some great box drawers at this shop.

Great prep scene in the area, too.

YankeeFan likes this.
  3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

For a city this size, the T-D gives preps major run. Lots of front page coverage. Can answer any questions about the city, some about the job.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Solid paper. I believe they still have a copy editor opening as well, although that could be both news and sports.

5. JBondurant804

JBondurant804 Member

You'll work as part of a team of four part-timers mainly taking scores and preparing the high school roundups. You'll get your own high school beat to cover as well. During college football, basketball and baseball season you'll compile statewide roundups in addition to your high school duties. The coverage of Virginia State, Virginia Union, Randolph-Macon, Hampden-Sydney and Richard Bland College is divied up among the part-timers as well.

6. CTeale

CTeale New Member

Long shot, but does anyone have an idea of the pay relative to the cost of living?

7. JBondurant804

JBondurant804 Member

When I was there from 2012-2014 I made $10 an hour. But before I left the newsroom union negotiated a pay raise for that particular job. I think it was upped to close to $12 an hour or something like that. But given that it's part-time you'd still likely need to find something to do during the day on the side as shifts generally are 5:30-11:30.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

A lot of the younger, single people I know have roommates and that keeps costs down. Richmond is a mid-size city but also a college town (VCU), so housing options are pretty plentiful.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Cost of living ranges wildly. You can find some small apartments in The Fan for $650-$750, or go the roommate route. I'm just outside of the Museum District and pay $950 for a sizable two bedroom. If you're younger, you're going to want to live closer to The Fan/Scott's Addition/downtown. The suburbs really aren't that much cheaper, cost of living wise. I was paying nearly $800 for a tiny place about 15 minutes south of the city when I first moved here and hated it. Ended up spending a ton in tolls going back and forth on the Powhite.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Yeah, the suburbs are mostly us married folks. Lot more going on in the Fan/Museum District/Carytown/Shockoe/Church Hill.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So this is basically a clerk job. You could do worse to get your foot in the door for at a newspaper if that's what you want.

Lots of people (myself included) have taken this type of experience at papers across the country and gone on to other writing/editing jobs or used it to build a resume and get some other kind of communication/SID/PR job.

JBondurant804 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted