1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hurricane Matthew

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Good luck to any SJers in the cone of uncertainty.

I'm hoping the model with Florida getting hit twice doesn't happen.

[​IMG]

Bronco77 likes this.
  2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The good news appears to be that the dreaded "northeast quadrant" should stay over the ocean unless it really veers inland.

Looking more and more likely that Florida-LSU and Georgia-South Carolina games could be postponed.

AJC floated the idea that UGA-South Carolina could play in the Georgia Dome, but Georgia State has a home game on Saturday. Maybe they could play Sunday since the Falcons are out of town.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Most importantly for everyone, my fresh grading job and grass seed in my Virginia backyard should be safe. Thanks to everyone who sent thoughts and prayers.

Huggy, cranberry and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I hope it goes alright alright alright, back over the ocean.

Thanks, by the way, for setting that on a tee.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

One final attempt at Obama's Katrina.

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

As Matthew moves over the Bahamas and towards Florida, it's become more of a track than a cone. Unfortunately, the 2:00 update is not good for my part of the State. Although they don't know exactly where it will go, it will likely be close and be a Category 3 or 4. My house is 15 - 20 miles from the coast so everyone keep hoping Matthew stays over the Atlantic. Every mile away helps.

Oh - and I will be fine. I have almost all my hurricane shutters up. I'll finish the last two tomorrow when the weather starts to turn. I'm avoiding the cave effect as long as possible. I also have a working generator with plenty of fuel. As long as I don't lose my roof, I will be OK.

It's still pretty fucking scary.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

In all seriousness, Amy and any other Florida SJers, please stay safe.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Hopefully turns into a non-event, but pleae take all necessary precautions and stay safe.

10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Will be monitoring anxiously from the state's other coast, which seems to be safe for now. Probably will be a little breezy here Thursday and Friday.

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Having spent three weeks without power after Katrina, I believe I'm going to start going over my hurricane protocol tonight when I get home from work. Just in case. There were things I didn't do for Katrina that I wish I'd done (like fill the bathtubs with fresh water), and since I don't have to be on call for hurricane coverage, I could plan to evacuate if I so choose. But we'll see what it does before we start to really worry. As has been said already, I hope all the SJers in Florida stay safe.

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I have a couple of friends in Charleston, S.C., including the columnist. Saw a weather map that looked ominous. Hang tough, friends.

Draft saved Draft deleted