1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daily seeking sports Editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jon Alverson, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Jon Alverson

Jon Alverson New Member

In the last year, two of our football teams won state championships and one school won a record five titles in a single season. From big schools to small schools both private and public, the coverage area of the Delta Democrat-Times is a sports editor’s dream. The chance to get to know the best athletes in Greenville, Miss., and the Delta and some of the best coaches in the state is difficult to pass up. We are now accepting resumes to fill the position of sports editor at the Delta Democrat-Times as the current sports editor has been selected for promotion. The paper won best sports section in the state in 2013 and 2015 and numerous awards in 2014 so we only want the best and brightest. Time spent on the staff of a daily newspaper or as the sports editor of a weekly or bi-weekly paper is a must. Salary is $30,000 - $35,000 based on experience. Benefits include company-match 401(k), health insurance and paid vacation. To apply send resume, clips and at least three references to jalverson@ddtonline.com.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Do you get to cover the Fightin' Okra?

3. TexasVet

TexasVet Active Member

What does that mean?

4. CaymanGuy

CaymanGuy Member

Five separate sports, probably.

5. Nine high schools and typically no Delta State, MVSU or MDCC unless from sports information.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

The chance to get to know the best athletes in Greenville, Miss.,
    and the Delta and some of the best coaches in the state is difficult to pass up.

I've denied myself for so long ...

Doc Holliday and studthug12 like this.
  7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

$30-35K in the Mississippi Delta is pretty damn good.

8. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Housing has to be pretty cheap too so 35K goes a little further than most places I would guess.

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I think I've commented on this job before when it's come open, since I interviewed for it in 2000 and turned it down.

I see they've bumped up the pay, which was essential to get anybody good to take the job. They offered me 25K, and I just couldn't see it, considering I had three kids in school at the time and would have been paying out an arm and both legs for private schools (because the public school system in Greenville is notoriously horrible, or at least it was in 2000).

The OP also somewhat exaggerates the quality of the preps in Greenville, although the big private school there did indeed win a state title in MAIS last year, along with a little 1A school down the road in Hollandale. Greenville High is usually pretty good in hoops and St. Joe's is one of the better small-school baseball programs around. But those are generally the exceptions; most of the rest of the programs in the area are pretty meh.

Still, this isn't a bad place for a youngster just starting out to develop their chops and build some clips; and as the post above says, 35K goes a lot further in the Delta than in most places.

10. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I wish we could all agree that a job posting should have the CITY AND NEWSPAPER NAME in the header.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Not to mention the music.

12. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

I'm just happy to see they put the pay in there. It's usually left out or has some vague reference to being based on experience.

Draft saved Draft deleted