1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vanderbilt band's petition at Change.org

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Vanderbilt band in awkward situation over homecoming game

The Vandy band has a petition in at Change.org to be allowed to play at Vanderbilt's Homecoming game. Tennessee State's band has been invited in their place.

The visiting band outright replacing the home team's band seems unusual enough - but for the Homecoming game? I have to wonder what the backstory on this is. I don't see this ending well for whoever came up with the idea.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Objectively speaking, an HBCU band is going to outshine Vandy's 99 times out of 99. And TSU (which is also in Nashville) should bring a good crowd and they'll expect to see their band. Maybe their show runs long and there wasn't time for both, so they moved homecoming stuff (which usually takes the place of a regular show) to pregame?

Any way you slice it though, it is a bad look.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I don't know the back story at all, but I do know if I'm in a college band and they decide to let another school's band play the homecoming game, I'm going postal.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

If I was the parent of a band kid (and I was) and they don't allow the band to play *at our own Homecoming*, I'm going to be all kinds of pissed off.

5. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Change.org petitions are almost effective as SJW demands.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

That's the mystery here. Did they channel the Stanford or Rice's band and nobody noticed, just because it's Vandy?

7. dixiehack

They don't have a scramble band, even though they probably should.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Next home game, just don't show up. Or show up, but don't play.

9. dixiehack

This makes it sound like Vanderbilt wants them to not show up for good.

Vanderbilt Band Shunned By Vanderbilt

But as we all imagined would happen, the administrators have been shamed into doing the right thing.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/spo...band-play-homecoming-after-petition/91502098/

Draft saved Draft deleted