1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Carnegie Deli

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Oct 1, 2016.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Carnegie Deli will close at end of 2016 | New York Post

Another one bites the dust. Sounds like the owner is getting older and is tired of the hustle it takes to keep the thing going. She actually owns the building, so not a story of an institution getting priced out by rents.

Not my thing, so I won't miss it. Lots of tourists will, though.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Gonna be a huge uptick in business at Sarge's.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Wow. On a hot Friday afternoon in March 1984 I was assigned to interview Henny Youngman during a ride from his apartment to a comedy club in Westport, Conn. Before we headed for the FDR drive he insisted on stopping at Carnegie Deli to get a tongue sandwich for the road. We got stuck in all sorts of Friday afternoon traffic and he was a miserable prick who never stopped whining, bitching and complaining the entire fucking ride.

Sarasota Herald-Tribune - Google News Archive Search

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I worked in the area for years. Not a fan -- too much shtick and too expensive for a deli which would be considered to be middling in the old neighborhood. It was just mythologized by the right people.

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That reads like the inspiration for Billy Crystal's "Mr. Saturday Night," which I really liked, but did poorly at the box office.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I guess Bowzer from Sha Na Na and Arthur Fonzarelli will have to find a new lunch spot. :(

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Sad to hear it. I liked the place

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My son crushed this. That's my boy!

[​IMG]

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Katz's better. Second Ave. better. But it's always sad when a New York institution type restaurant goes.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

That's like Farrah Fawcett and Jaclyn Smith are better than Kate Jackson. I know. I'm old.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Take that back!

Kate was by far the cutest!

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Cheryl Ladd put them all to shame.

Draft saved Draft deleted